Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: AM coffee

You have to add a mix valve. The first time I used my shower wand, the water came out warm and then turned scalding hot all of a sudden. Talk about a wake up call. I have since figured out the control but it does vary throughout use. If I remember correctly Charlie56 did a thread on a mix valve at the wand. You have to realize that the lines have to warm up and to get the temperature just right takes a little time to dial in. The problem is you waste a lot of water. While dialing in the water temp I always shoot the water into a container for use later. Why waste it on the grass when you can use it for things like washing dishes. With a flat plate only (not diesel fired like I have), and the 6.0 PSD engine hot, I can usually get a quick shower before the water gets too cold. But you can always run the motor while using the flat plate. That's what it's designed for if you don't have the furnace portion.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #12

You know, they make 12V coffee pots. Plug into the cig socket, and forget the inverter.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #13

The propane on the other hand is very consistent, I can usually get it right with a few squirts of the shower. I've never felt like the temp changes or we run out of hot, but we use as little hot water (as little water). I've done full showers (1 person) and nightly foot washing (3 people) and that's about the maximum volume it's seen.

When we pull into camp I flip it on and the next day when we pull out turn it off. We can usually get hot or warm water during the day (nice for when rest stops have cold water only or no soap). I don't really know how much or how long this might work, I never really paid attention beyond one time being amazed it was still hot when I used the sink.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

On ours, using the flat plate and leaving the engine on high idle, we can have constant temperature showers until we run out of water or diesel. (usually the water runs out first ) We have 32 gallons of water so if we're only gone for 5 or 6 days, we tend to be pretty profligate with the water.
Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Heh! Are you saying you and yours are wildly extravagant and grossly self-indulgent? Or you just use a bunch of water?

Got your message Skywagon and it was great to have met you and all the other SMB owners at the Expo.

My Father-in-law had a blast...this was his first indoctrination to what his daughter and I like to do. After 23 years it finally happened

My wife and I will be heading up North the last two weeks in June, I might be PM'ing you!!

Nice to have met you both

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The propane on the other hand is very consistent, I can usually get it right with a few squirts of the shower. I've never felt like the temp changes or we run out of hot, but we use as little hot water (as little water).
Hum...coffee to showers. I guess you can drink coffee while taking a shower anyway I'm talking about the rear shower wand and I might only waste maybe a 1/2 gallon of water at the most. Once I get the water at the correct temperature it stays that way. I thought I would be smart and mark the controls where the temp was comfortable but that didn't really work. It seems like I have to use a different setting each time. Maybe the outside temperature? It wouldn't be so bad if the hot control was on the wand. Having to reach inside the van to adjust it is a pain. I wish the wand was located in the propane door or rear bumper so the doors could be kept closed. I've seen them on the outside of the van but that is something that could be damaged by mother nature or idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
We have 32 gallons of water
Bill
SMB sells a tank that big? Or are you counting extra reserves. That's a lot of coffee Bill

Old 05-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #17

Daveb-
In boats (with which I have the most experience) as well as SMBs, we find that the limiting factor as to how long you can stay out , is water. Therefore, when we had the van built, we forwent inverters and propane heaters and such and added a second 16 gallon water tank under the rear seat/bed. We find that typically, we use about 5 gallons a day without being careful at all, which gives us almost a week out. If we're careful, we can halve that.
Of course food is sort of important too, but it seems like there's always something to eat, but when you run out of water you have to resort to drinking beer!! Or Scotch. Or even in a crisis, wine!! Somehow, brushing your teeth with red wine just before going to bed just doesn't get it.
Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #18

Thank goodness! Clearer minds have prevailed!! My wife just pointed that one doesn't HAVE to brush one's teeth with red wine; any ordinary white would work much better.

Bill
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #19

French press is the way to go! I also have a 4-cup coffeemaker, and one cycle pretty much drains my 4D batteries (juding from the other posts sounds like it might be time for new batteries ).

Anyway when I want to run appliances I just fire up the Honda Generator.

Also, I do leave the generator in the bumper box sometimes, at an angle with the exhaust pointing out, no problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckee5
French press is the way to go!
Naaa….Espresso dude! A little Kahlua with espresso and you’re ready to rock