Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #1

AM coffee

With a inverter and the house battery SMB uses can you make a pot of coffee in the morning using a regular 110 coffee pot? I can't do it with the two Trojans I have in my motor home I'm selling.
Also can a Honda 2000 generator be ran inside the Trojan bumper box if the box is ventilated? e.g. in snowy weather. Would the sound be louder or quieter?
Thanks for your opinions. RD

dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Re: AM coffee

Depends what you mean by coffee pot I guess. I use a small automatic drip coffee maker and run it off my inverter and 2 house batteries without much trouble. It only makes 4 cups max coffee so it's not on that long and I wouldn't guess I could do it for very many days in a row.

Can't speak to the generator question.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Four cups would be enough. RD
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

Inverters and 120Vac appliances take a lot of power out of the batteries.

So, we simply heat water on the stove and pour it through the Melitta filter system. Once the water is hot, we have coffee in seconds. We have two filter holders because my wife likes flavored coffee and I do not.

The filter holder looks like:

http://8thsincoffee.com/cone_filter_holder_2_size

and the paper filters:

http://fantes.com/coffee-filters.html

This system uses coarse ground coffee (fine grind plugs the filter). Use 2-4 teaspoons coffee to make one cup. I find that you can make two cups from the grounds, then either a new filter or add 1/2 the amount of coffee for the next cup. Usually I simply go for the new filter after two cups, because after the first two cups I switch to decaf. Filling the filter will fill a standard coffee cup, or you can make less.

I'm not addicted (I'm not; I'M NOT) but I do like my morning coffee. And sometimes afternoon coffee also. The Melitta filter system makes coffee easy, just boil water and pour.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #5

My wife and I use french press travel mugs. You put the coffee in the bottom of the cup and add hot water wait 5 minutes and press. Coffee maker and cup all in one. We bought ours at Starbucks.

If you have the 4D battery you should have no problem running a full size coffee maker. I would suggest after brewing pour the coffee into a thermos so you can then turn off the coffee maker and inverter. If you have solar panels that would also help because you make coffee in the morning and then you would have all day for the solar panels to replenish your batteries.

John
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #6

I have an eight cup thermal carafe coffee pot, as you can see from the attached file it does use up a considerable amount of battery power to make a pot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coffee Pot Battery Usage.pdf (30.3 KB, 27 views)
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #7

We have a 110v ten cup thermal caraffe coffee maker in ours. Works fine but does draw a lot of power. We have a 2k watt inverter and a 4DAGM.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #8

Thank you all for your comments. After coffee if I was on the road for awhile the batteries would charge right back up-right? I'm planning this van for cold weather hunting trips primarily so won't be setting in a spot using the batteries for much else. Also I'm deleting the stove.
My main concerns are heat,bed, shower, hot water. I'm debating the flat plate water heater and no propane ( The gas furnaces keep me awake all night). Heat for me when no 110v is available will have to be provided by Honda generator or catalytic ( I know the issues).
Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks again, Dick D.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

In my case I wish I could have a cook top inside that has an external hook up outside for a small 4 lb (1-gal) tank. Sometimes I have to cook inside and although I carry the small butane stove, a flush mount stovetop would be nice and convenient. At this point I use propane outside to cook with and to carry multiple fuels takes up valuable space.
As far as your battery reserve recharging, it depends on how much current flow is available for charging and how low you’ve taken the system down. Unfortunately I found that running several items (headlights, stereo and amps, inverter…etc) at night while driving with the A/C and Starcool additional air conditioner running, I was getting little to no recharging to the house system. YMMV depending on how much your van loads down the alternator. Some Ford vans have twin alternators for this reason. The Starcool pulls a huge chunk of what a standard alternator puts out. I upgraded to a 200A alternator and now it’s not uncommon to see 15 amps or more flowing to the house batteries when the engine is running and the house system is low from overnight use. I now recharge much faster than before while driving. So overall you should find out how many amps will be avaliable for charging with what you plan to run while driving under "full load". My guess is if you do not have a secondary air conditioner system you won't have a problem at all.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #10

Thanks to you all. Does the flat plate heat exchanger provide a consistant temperature hot water? I assume a mix valve is used. I know nothing about them. Which is better for hot shower water? Exchanger or propane water heater? Thanks, RD