Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

Another House Battery Question

I've searched past posts but not finding an answer to my specific problem:

I'm running two 4D agm batteries for 420 AH of capacity with 100W solar and Blue Sky 2000E controller. 12v Norcold fridge, lights and music only. I replaced the original Lifelines after 11 years with two FullRiver batteries same size. Now, 5 yrs in I'm finding they are not charging as well and not holding a charge nearly as long as they did initially. Under normal circumstances in full sun my battery monitor reads 14.2v w fridge running. Next morning I'd still be at 12.6 ish and by 10 am monitor reads 14.2v and stays there all day. Now in full sun it will read 13.2 tops and morning comes it'll be 12.4 or less. Even after driving all the day before.

Its gotta be the batteries right?

2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Probably your batteries, that’s pretty average life expectancy for an AGM, you could go longer, they’ll just continue to have a lower full charge. Check the voltage output on your alternator too, I just had an ordeal with mine....twice.....in Baja.....fun!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

When is the last time that you had it on a shore power charger? I suspect if you were just using alternator and solar as your major charge sources you have left the battery undercharged and suffering from PSOC.

The BlueSky 2000e is a two stage charger, so it won't even be be able to tell if it has completed charge by going into float. Not sure what you have the Bluesky programmed for, butting 14.2 could just be the voltage it is set for. That is in no way a indication that the unit is fully charged.

My assumption that you are now seeing 13.2, could mean you haven't even made to the second stage of charging. ( That is a 30,000 ft level assessment). I would also check whatever you are running for a isolator/separator, is the alternator charge getting to the house.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
When is the last time that you had it on a shore power charger? I suspect if you were just using alternator and solar as your major charge sources you have left the battery undercharged and suffering from PSOC.
Hasn't been on shore power for years. I've been blindly thinking it was all good... until it wasn't (that's never happened before - heh). Not hard to do since I don't have much of a grasp on all that's involved. It's the original SMB isolator and 13 yr old charge controller. I know there's much better stuff out there now... I'll do some more research and report back on how it works out.

Thanks Greg and Ref for the input!
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote