Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Another wiring diagram

I'm learning a lot here for my camper van project. So now it's the time for the exam. loll
What do you think about my wiring diagram?
Do I miss something?

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
maricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #2

I'm not an electrical guru so I can't evaluate your fuse and wire choices, but I have a question about the switch from the inverter to the microwave and water heater.

Is the switch there to prevent you from over-taxing the inverter when you want hot water?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix View Post
I'm not an electrical guru so I can't evaluate your fuse and wire choices, but I have a question about the switch from the inverter to the microwave and water heater.

Is the switch there to prevent you from over-taxing the inverter when you want hot water?
Exactly!

With this setup I can't use both at the same time.

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #4

A couple of feedback items.
  • Separator relay
    I assume you are using a high power relay for the separator and driving it with the smaller SPDT relay. The line from alternator, I assume run status, should be connected to 85. The 5 amp battery source should go to 87 (NO), 87a (NO) empty. This way when Alternator run status is high it will drive the high power relay with the normally open 5 amp battery source. The fuse size is dependent on the high power relay current requirements.
  • 200 Amp ANL fuse
    I would change the 200 Amp ANL fuse to a Class T fuse for better AIC coverage, I also suspect Class T fuse is recommended on input to Inverter.
  • Fuses and Gauges
    Without knowing the length of cable runs, battery size, alternator size, and kind of wire it is difficult to comment on fuse size and wire gauge. But, I would believe that the 1/0 gauge from battery to inverter should be at a minimal 2/0 gauge.
  • Inverter
    Does't the RV1512UL have a hard wired output? If so I would think that might change how I did that. I would make sure your independent outlet is GFCI protected

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
A couple of feedback items.
  • Separator relay
    I assume you are using a high power relay for the separator and driving it with the smaller SPDT relay. The line from alternator, I assume run status, should be connected to 85. The 5 amp battery source should go to 87 (NO), 87a (NO) empty. This way when Alternator run status is high it will drive the high power relay with the normally open 5 amp battery source. The fuse size is dependent on the high power relay current requirements.
  • 200 Amp ANL fuse
    I would change the 200 Amp ANL fuse to a Class T fuse for better AIC coverage, I also suspect Class T fuse is recommended on input to Inverter.
  • Fuses and Gauges
    Without knowing the length of cable runs, battery size, alternator size, and kind of wire it is difficult to comment on fuse size and wire gauge. But, I would believe that the 1/0 gauge from battery to inverter should be at a minimal 2/0 gauge.
  • Inverter
    Does't the RV1512UL have a hard wired output? If so I would think that might change how I did that. I would make sure your independent outlet is GFCI protected

-greg
Thank to help me with my electrical setup.
I'm not really good in english so I would like to be sure to understand exactly all suggestions.

1- I did a mistake on my diagram. I think that's why you misunderstood what I want to do. I just want to use a solenoid connected on (hot in run wire). The small relay let’s me use a switch to turn it on when not in “Run” mode. I also have a switch on the ground connection of the coil, this just disables the solenoid. I also have a Blue Sea 6007 switch, this is my back up switch. For this goal does my wiring diagram are exact? I'm wiring it like one of your previous post. (Battery Isolators,Separators, and Switches?)

2- I replaced and changed the ANL fuse by FBL one and it now closer to the inverter than before. Is it exact? Do I need something closer the house battery?

3- Bigger is better. I did the change.

4- All outlet must be GFCI? Even if I have 15 amp breaker?

I would like to know which size I should use between 30amp breaker, 20 amp breaker and inverter?

Does my setup need anymore fuse?

Alternator = oem e350 alternator
Length of cable runs = less than 4 ft (more between house batteries and starter battery)
House batteries = may be 3 batteries total 300-350 amp group 27. (not sure yet)
Knowing this, where should I turn my attention? Do I have something else to consider or to change.

Thank a lot

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe