Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Automatic Charging Relay Clicking?

Ok have a couple of questions as I am having this relay delatch I guess after about 30 seconds or so after I shut the van off.
I can hear it once I am walking away from the van, and aren't sure if this has been happening since I bought it(8 months) or it is something new.
Is this normal, and why is it doing this?
Also being new to the SMB clan, what is the black push button that I have above my head on the driver side that I would guess is a factory SMB addition.
On another note I am presently mounting a 80W solar panel that I inherited to my Aluminess roof rack and have an outside SAE connection at the rear of the van and was planning on just adding a connector chord between the two when stationary to aid in recharging, am I missing anything obvious here.
By the way I only have one house battery.
Thanks for any input!
Roger

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #2

Model numbers of the parts and possibly pictures would help.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #3

Have a pic of the relay but will have to get one of the rubber push button.I figure the push button is a SMB add on as my van only had 10k miles on it and the previous owner had done everything through SMB.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3811.jpg  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #4

A pic of the button
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3867.jpg  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Ok have a couple of questions as I am having this relay delatch I guess after about 30 seconds or so after I shut the van off.
I can hear it once I am walking away from the van, and aren't sure if this has been happening since I bought it(8 months) or it is something new.
Is this normal, and why is it doing this?
Also being new to the SMB clan, what is the black push button that I have above my head on the driver side that I would guess is a factory SMB addition.

By the way I only have one house battery.
Thanks for any input!
Roger
Probably normal. The relay measures the starting batteries and the house battery. If at any time the voltage drops below about 12.8 (on either side) the relay opens...you hear the click. When it sees a positive charge voltage typically about 13+ volts, the relay will close.

The push button is a way SMB uses to allow you to jump assist the vehicle battery system. If your starting batteries or battery is low, pushing the button while trying to start the vehicle might give you enough boost to get er started.

On another note, if the relay quickly opens it can also indicate a battery issue. Most batteries hold a float charge after the charge has stopped. With no load (nothing on in the van) the float charge can last as long a a few minutes to possibly an hour or more before the float voltage is reduced to 12.8 volts. As batteries age they lose a percentage of their charge holding capability so with older batteries the float time is dissipated quicker especially if something is on. When brand new starting and house batteries were installed on my van, my relay would stay closed for over an hour even with the fridge running. Today with 6 yr old batteries... as soon as I turn off the vehicle or kill the shore charger, when the fridge cycles on, BAMM on the relay opens Not that I have a battery issue, they're still good enough for my typical nite loads I require. Maybe not in their prime, but I think I can get another year or so out of them.

A good battery monitor can tell you what's up if you can invest in one. Well worth researching battery monitors on the site here. Might save you in the long run.

Sometimes it's not a battery issue but a connection problem. Also just because your engine batteries can start it, how long it can supply the amperage necessary to turn over your engine is what counts. A bad battery in the loop can suck the life out of the good ones. I'm not saying to start pulling things apart, but just knowing why things happen can help point you in the right direction is you start having a problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #6

The disconnect time for your Bluesea ACE is 30 seconds once the voltage drops below 12.75 volts. As Daveb said that sound about normal. It will also disconnect in 10 seconds if the voltage is 12.35. Again as dave says this could be a indication of a battery going south (or one that you have not been able to fully charge yet) .

I have no idea what the button is, sorry. I would worry about the length of cable (voltage loss) from your panel. Does this panel have a built in controller, or do you have a solar controller?

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

If Dave recognizes that switch then I'm sure he's right but if you aren't sure which SMB location converted your van you might want to reach out to them anyway. They can get you lots of info you might not have and each location tends to do a lot of things the same. That particular switch and location may be a dead giveaway to one of them.

I would slow charge your batteries for 24-48 hours and reassess. I see an Intellipower converter in the pic beside that Blue Sea isolator. It should be a good 3 stage charger, you just need to plug in to shore power.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #8

Thanks very much for all the feedback, it makes a lot more sense now that I can see it in written form.
I am thinking that the house battery could be on its last legs as it appears that the starting battery has been changed at some point but the house looks like it could be an original from 2010.Will definitely hook it up to shore power though and see if it holds better!
Thanks for the info on the button, this build was done here on the west in Fresno.
When the pop top was added in November,I was also able to get them to add a solar controller and that is when they added the SAE connection for a portable solar panel to the rear of the van.
Another question I would like to get input on is do you guys or gals tend to leave the shutoff switch in the On or Off position.
Our van has limited power requirements and considering it is used as a daily driver does it really matter if I leave that switch on as the Fridge is turned off and this would give me the solar controller display to give me a better visual on battery charge.
If the house battery goes way down I guess it doesn't take the starter battery with it correct?
Thanks Again
Roger
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3872.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
I am thinking that the house battery could be on its last legs as it appears that the starting battery has been changed at some point but the house looks like it could be an original from 2010.

Will definitely hook it up to shore power though and see if it holds better!
Thanks for the info on the button, this build was done here on the west in Fresno.

Another question I would like to get input on is do you guys or gals tend to leave the shutoff switch in the On or Off position.
Our van has limited power requirements and considering it is used as a daily driver does it really matter if I leave that switch on as the Fridge is turned off and this would give me the solar controller display to give me a better visual on battery charge.

If the house battery goes way down I guess it doesn't take the starter battery with it correct?
Thanks Again
Roger
It's kind of hard to guess about the batteries condition. If it were me I'd find out what the issue is before jumping in. JMO. If a battery goes, charging with a high amp charger, make sure you monitor it. A bad battery under a charge can heat or even off gas. AGM type batteries are somewhat forgiving but a bad battery is similar to a short. As asked, If a bad battery is connected to a good battery, Yes it can pull the other down. The separator is the device that protects one system from the other. As Greg said, make sure the battery/batteries are fully charged. It might be wise to do more troubleshooting. Hard to say over a keyboard.

BTW the push button switch does look what SMB has used. If it is that switch, while the separator is open, pushing the it should make the separator close and cause the same clicking noise you posted about.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote