Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Aux battery location concern

I am planning on adding a second battery and have been looking at the frame mount vs inside the van. I prefer frame mount but I have concerns about how safe it would be outside. The van will be towing and launching boats and while it doesn't seem like the water level would get above the lid I am worried about that. Also would I need to be concerned when going through really muddy areas or shallow river crossings? I would much rather not lose the interior storage but don't want to put it in a place where it will be damaged.

TucknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #2

Just throw an AGM battery on the frame, and you won't really need to worry about it, other than cleaning the terminals occasionally. I would agree that a regular flooded battery isn't always the best in that location. I'm coming up on 9 years on my Optima yellow top, mounted to the frame rail. It's been through plenty, including being submerged.