Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

aux house battery swap

Hello, New smb owner and my house battery runs down quickly if I don't run my smb within 3 days and my a/c is cool but then turns colder when attached to 30amp while camping so think battery is going and about 10 yrs old. I think I need to replace 4d agm aux battery in my 04 E350 and it is under the side passenger door. I saw the 5/8 bolts to remove and my question is do I remove the horizontal bolts on the tray or top vertical 2 bolts on each side that attach under to the frame or all four per side. I was going to try to find a floor jack. I have tried the search engine here on swap and owners manuel isn't clear but sorry if redundant but couldn't find help. Thank you!!

subluxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Re: aux house battery swap

Did this just yesterday with a friend to connect his solar controller. We only removed the horizontal bolts on the tray. We used a floor jack with a piece of plywood attached to the floorjack for even support. I think you could remove either set of nut/bolts ....whichever provides the easiest access.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Thank you. That is what I was thinking and wanted to find the simplest and safest access.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Are you saying that you're running a add on air conditioner (like the starcool model) and it takes your battery to a low state if you're not connected to shore power?

If so, running the Starcool without being hooked to shore power will even take a new battery down quickly. The Starcool III is a two system unit that is in part tied to the vehicle air conditioner. One part is designed to be ran while the engine is running but the other must be hooked to shore power to supply power to the 110AC compressor if the engine is off.

This would explain why it gets cooler while plugged in.

Hopefully I'm reading your post correctly.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Correct, but I was thinking I could run my Starcool A/C if camping without shore power if needed some without having to run my engine. I'm here in the humid midwest, southeast. The starcool a/c itself now typically takes about 6 hrs of running for my low voltage alarm to start beeping and cools somewhat and about 3-4 days to beep if not hooked up to shore power with norco fridge on setting 2.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Sorry but it doesn't work that way and will kill your battery rather quickly. You don't want to take your battery below 12.2 volts (resting voltage) or damage can occur to the battery. Your best bet is to haul a 3Kw generator and plug it into the shore power port or stick to camping at places with power. The Starcool AC compressor requires a 30A circuit and correct size power cord.

Also FYI, the Starcool 12v fan speed switch AND the 12v "on" switch must be turned on while driving using the Ford dash air. You also do not want to turn on the thermostat to the "cool setting" with the inverter on (if you have one) when driving or it will try to power the 110v compressor and trip off an inverter smaller than 3000w. Besides the 110v compressor does not work as well as the 12 volt system while driving so you don't want the shore power compressor to kick on. Rather just use the 12v part of the Starcool and the dash air. If you don't, the Ford air will begin to warm a bit while driving.

Starcool make two different systems, one that operates off shore power or the vehicles A/C system and one that only runs off the vehicles 12v A/C system. My guess is when you plugged into shore power you heard the A/C compressor kick in...it's kind of loud. But all of the Starcool's share the vehicles A/C system.
Kind of confusing but hopefully you get the gist.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Got it. You have been very helpful. I will make sure to double check the thermostat and "on" switch. As far as portable generator's, Do you recommend the bigger, 3000w or can I get by the the smaller and lighter 2000watt i.e. Honda or the 1/2 the cost powerhorse or any suggestions. We mostly do camp with electric when with the family in state parks, KOA's etc. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I've never tried it but was told that the 110ac compressor needs at least 2800 watts to run. Myself I never thought the Starcool on shore power was worth the effort to haul much less buy a large generator. That said, I want the inside temps to drop to at least 75* to make it comfortable so YMMV. I just avoid hot humid places. Being able to rid the van of humidity might be of value. It seems that on my van it's almost impossible to cool a hot van down unless I'm parked in shade and start the A/C early before it gets hot. With the top up you almost need to have reflectix over the canvas and all the windows as well. Before jumping on buying a gen, I'd suggest seeing if your system will perform to your satisfaction by testing it on shore power first. JMO

Another note to keep in the back of your head is every Ford dealer I've been to does not understand that the Starcool shares the Ford system. They are always reluctant to charge the system with the necessary amount of freon, but never note what they evacuate out That stuff is expensive and so they always "steal" what you have, don't put it back, and when you have issues they charge you for what they stole to fill it to the correct level

Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

Sounds good. I agree as it is mostly the humidity especially where I am located here as my recent trip out west was a lot more comfortable sleeping and less taxing on the A/C. SMB west confirmed to use the horizontal tray bolts to swap aux batteries and says 2000 watts min portable generator but 3000 seems to work more efficiency but agree as it is so much bigger to drag around. Thanks so much.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Make sure they're talking about the Starcool III and not the Danhard even though both are made by Danhard. If I could run mine off a 2000w generator I'd do it. Like I said I've never tried it but the worst thing you can do to an air conditioner is to supply a low voltage to it due to high amp draw down. I've seen some who claim a good set of capacitors can help with startup loads but have yet to hear of anybody able to run a SC-III off a 2K generator. If anybody has I'm all ears.

Hopefully your house battery is OK and doesn't need to be replaced, good luck.