Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #11

Thought I would update this thread as a changes a component in the system. I wasn't real happy with Marinco 12VCP - ConnectPro Receptacle & Plug Kit. So when looking around I found this on the powerwrex website. I have used anderson pole connectors for heavy amp connectors, but never really looked at their smaller amperage connectors.

As you can see you have two aux connection points, so I made up a pigtail to go from 1 10 gauge wire to two 10 gauge wires, so that both connectors would be live.

The butt joint connectors can be found a Waytek Wire #32990 Sealed Multiple Wire Connector, One 12-10GA to Two 12-10GA

Now I have two aux solar connectors

On my Lensun cable all I changed was the Connect-Pro Plug.

I also had purchased a very cheap aux setup a while back, it is basically two flexible panels held together with a zipper. The quality of the unit lacks so I will not be posting a review on it. Anyway for it the parallel MC4 connectors at the panels were two much, So I used the same butt joint connectors above to combine the panels and put an Anderson pole connector on the end.

I then made up a cable with both ends being Anderson-pole connectors.

I made a couple cables 15 ft & 25 ft, as they can be used as extension cables

This is the flexible panels, they deploy a little easier than the Lensun, really don't take up a lot of room.

The hardest part about making the Anderson-pole cables is keeping the orientation correct, of course I also needed a new crimper.

-greg

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Orv

Garage
I've used powerpoles a lot for ham radio gear. They're very reliable connectors. They're also hermaphroditic (no male/female distinction), which is handy in some setups.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #13

Garage
I havent relocated my current auxiliary input - its still the "Y" connectors on the top of my roof. Very functional, and easy to connect my panels as long as I remember to plug the cable in before I raise the top...but I really like the Powerwerx system you showcased here. Think I'll go this route, Thanks for posting!
Old 11-30-2021, 06:38 AM   #14

I thought I would update this thread, the Powerwerx Panelpole connector I switched to for my auxiliary solar connector now comes in a single version.

This does away with the dual input splice I hade to make, and use of a single 10 awg input wire. As with the powerpole2 connector, they come with 30 amp contacts, if you want to use 10 awg wire then you will need to purchase the 45 amp contacts.

Their TRIcrimp crimping tool is a reasonably priced crimping tool. Using and their PP45 connectors would also allow you to make reasonably priced extension cables.

-greg
Old 12-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #15

For those that have installed larger 36 volt panels on their vans and are still looking to do a aux panel in parallel, Lensun makes a 200W 36V folding package. These are the same as their 200W 18 Volt package, they both use four 50W 18v panels. The 36V unit just does a series parallel wiring scheme.

-greg
Old 12-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #16

I'm also a Ham and am a fan of Anderson Powerpole connectors. One thing that's really nice about the Powerwerx Panelpole receptacle is that the Powerpole connectors are replaceable in case of wear or breakage.

Here's a current link: https://powerwerx.com/search?q=panel+mount+powerpole

Orv's comment "They're also hermaphroditic (no male/female distinction), which is handy in some setups." might be a little misleading.

Once you've wired them up and paired them together the way you want them, the two pairs will only connect together in one way. You don't have to think about if you're plugging them together in the wrong way. It's the right/left configuration of the pairs that matters, not the construction of the individual connecters.

Ideally you'd use a crimper made for attaching Powerpole connectors but, they can be connected without the special crimper which are available at a number of price-points. I use a crimper but Youtube has a number of other methodologies.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:05 AM   #17

Thanks for posting the butt joint connector’s. Looking to make a connection under my van. Recommendation to make water/dust tight?
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #18

I assume you mean make the connection to the Powerwerx Panelpole connector water/dust tight. You might try Rubber Waterproof Straight Boot For 12V Plug Socket

-greg
Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #19

Greg,
So sorry, bad question description. I am looking add an additional solar plug-in inside of the van so I can put the solar panels in the van front window when we leave for walks and etc. I accept some solar power loss but doing it for solar panel thief prevention. I have a 10 ga wire running from an exterior plug-in under the van body to the solar controller and would like to splice that wire with a new wire that would run into the van under the drivers seat and add a plug-in there. The splice connection would be exposed to water, dust and etc. And would like to make it water/dust proof. Recommendation?

Thanks Bear
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #20

The butt connector posted are adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing. This should be fine under the van, You could also cover with additional heat shrink if thought more was needed.

-greg