Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 04:59 AM   #1

BACK UP CAMERA

Does any one have the Audiovox back up camera on the rear roof and 3.5 inch monitor by the mirror installed by Rob at SMBW ? How do you like it ? Can you actually see anything in that small of a monitor?

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #2

Angel, I have this exact setup (the monitor is built into the rear view mirror). I had Rob install this back in May when we had to bring our van up to Fresno to get some fixes done. It has been great, especially for judging the distance between the rear of the van (spare tire) and any objects that are approaching like a parked car, sign or boulder. I can see things clearly without any problems.

One thing to consider though is getting a radio system that has a DVD, GPS and the monitor built into it. This would be less expensive and a cleaner install than purchasing separately. However, it is expensive and if you don't need the DVD and/or GPS it is not worthwhile.

Good luck.
-Geoff
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks for your suggestion. I am planning to up grade the radio but do not know which one and wanted to keep it simple to use. I need to learn more. The forum talks about the Kenwood DNX 710 and that sounds good but Velogeo mentioned that the install had a couple of quirks and things could have been done better. Rob sugested the KDC 238 AM/FM/CD with aux input for TV. Rob talks so fast and does not have anything I can see so I would know what he is talking about.

I thought I better wait and see what I need. But with the back up camera being separate and costing $650, I better reconsider now. I am interested in seris or xm radio. I have a portable 10 inch DVD/CD player that I would like to plug into the system and a 12 V TV for rare occasions. I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS. I need to get another GPS that shows dirt roads. My grandson has an adapter so he can play his ipod thru any radio. I upgraded the speakers to Kenwood 6x8 coax speakers.

What do you recommend?

Angel
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #4

Angel,

Here is a link to a prior post

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... ight=#9555

If you are interested in taking a look I have a business in Costa Mesa I could let you take a peak.

outopawn
Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #5

Angel, I can't really give you any advice since we have a simple stereo setup and also very minimalistic electronic needs. We have a Kenwood CD player with an auxiliary input for plugging in an MP3 player. We have also have Sirius radio wired directly into the Kenwood head unit. This combination works perfectly for us. I do know that Rob can wire a separate auxiliary input in the van cargo area for plugging in a DVD player or laptop so the sound is heard through the van speakers.

We use a portable GPS (Lowrance XOG) that is just placed on the dashboard and that works great for us. I'm sure others with the more intensive electronic setups can speak to their usage and impressions.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

Outopawn Steve, Yes I would like to take a look at your set up. I will e mail you.
Thank you, Angel
Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #7

Angel, we have a back up camera with Pioneer head unit. You can check it out at the meet and greet. Also CellularSteve will be there and he has front and rear cameras.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote