Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Backup Camera in Visor - Recs?

So, I found this site from previous forum topics on backup cameras...

http://www.visorview.com/VV2_camera_system.html

Does anyone have actual experience with the product?

Thanks.

Sandi

Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #2

Backup Camera in Visor - Recs?

Just me, but don't see need for back up camera because :
1) don't use as daily driver
2) I take a good look behind me as I get back in.
3) "Pull thru" parking lot spaces if I can
4) don't want another system to maintain
5) BU cam does not show all

Now those of you that have them
What be your reasons TO have one

( sorry for the hijack
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

Re: Backup Camera in Visor - Recs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

( sorry for the hijack
Um. 'Cause the visor one is slick, and my husband wants one?

Actually, all your reasons are valid. Our biggest issue is that in camping with most of the campgrounds we frequent, there ARE no pull-through spaces. So we frequently have to back into a 50' spot with a drop off on one side or the other.

Also, we tow a jet ski trailer. It's easy for DH to line up the receiver and trailer with a camera if he's on his own.

Sandi
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

( sorry for the hijack
Um. 'Cause the visor one is slick, and my husband wants one?

Actually, all your reasons are valid. Our biggest issue is that in camping with most of the campgrounds we frequent, there ARE no pull-through spaces. So we frequently have to back into a 50' spot with a drop off on one side or the other.

Also, we tow a jet ski trailer. It's easy for DH to line up the receiver and trailer with a camera if he's on his own.

Sandi

actually i want one too, but trying to limit to stuff that i REALLY will use

when i say 'pull thru" i am reffering to the supermarket/home depot type runs that i take the rig

if i had to back up with drop offs i would consider also, in addition to the jetski/trailer deal

i would look at:
if it is aimed at the trailer hitch for the hook up, will it show the drop off?
however, it WOULD allow you to back up the rig/towed trailer straighter

dont know how "wide angle" the camera is

Folks here with bu cameras, chirp in

I think you can get them with like three cameras
trailer hitch
port and starboard views
i think the xtra cameras are not too expensive

also would want to take into account daylight/night view

i looked at the ones that mount inplace of the rearview mirrors
smaller screen, but one less piece to mount so to speak
http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/61A3727A0A0.aspx
Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

I added a backup camera a couple of years ago and I think it is a good safety device. (And zero maintenance like a majority of electronics.) Yes, I use the side mirrors but I can't see squat out the rear windows. People these days seem to have no comprehension of things around them (even when they are not text messaging or talking on their cell phones) and many times will walk right behind you when you are backing out of a parking spot....even if you check both side mirrors first and no one is in sight, I had people step out behind me while backing. So, what I do is to check both side mirrors and the backup camera, start backing up when it is clear and then continue to check the appropriate side mirror and backup camera until I shift into D.

As far as pull-through parking, many shopping centers around here have landscaped area between the stall rows so pulling through isn't an option.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
As far as pull-through parking, many shopping centers around here have landscaped area between the stall rows so pulling through isn't an option.
I just put in 4 low and go over them
Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #7

Sandi,
I have a back up camera and use it all the time. I really like having one.

Mine is rigged up through my stereo and is always on. I use it for all the following:

1. Backing up-fills in the blind spots that the mirrors don't see (I keep my rear windows covered always)
2. Seeing if anyone is tailgating
3. Excellent for watching the trailer and backing up the the trailer
4. I really have it down for parallel parking. I can fit in some pretty tight spaces (but I do get out to see how close I am, the camera just allows me to jump out less)
5. When stealth camping or working inside the van I like having the camera on so I can see if anyone is coming up on me.

I have a front camera too but only use it when rockcrawling and winching.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

Sandi, I don't have one on the SMB yet, but our 2006 Prius came with one and we love it. We use it all the time, for all the reasons cited above by others. Want one on the Sporty because even in pull-through camping, we're often backing up to better our location or get level, and you just can't see much out of the E-350 back windows. I'm really good with the mirrors but they just do not show what's directly behind and who/what you're about to back into or over. Good luck on your choice!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

I suggest something. I destroyed a brand new Nisson Altima a while back. Not totally my fault, we just merged together in a parking lot. I never even knew I made contact because I was backing so slow. I thought I was on a speed bump...when I applied throttle I crushed in the trunk of the car. There was NO damage to my Aluminess bumper but the worthless lady still claimed she had a neck injury...several weeks later One thing they teach you about Class A driving is like what BW suggested, never back up. That's impossible many times. I have a radar type monitor but backup cameras are so cheap nowdays it's good insurance. The radar type monitors beep when something is close...no camera.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #10

Just bought my SMB with OEM backup camera in rear view mirror. Love it. It would be great to have control over it when not in reverse gear. Worth every penny of the $470 dealer price w/o tax (not much compared to the cost of even a minor fender bender). One less thing to worry about. Don't have to send my partner out in the rain to help me park the first-time every time.

The lens view is not distorted (i.e., not a fish bowl). It's sufficiently wide angle allows you to see at least a few feet to each side at the furthest points away from the van. It has these really cool runway lines on each side and a centerline. That helps you fix on a target. You can see the back edge of the bumper, so you'll see it as it goes under your bumper (just hope it clears the spare ). Even better at night - no daylight to diminish the screen clarity. The lens doesn't seem to get dirty like the rest of the van and windows.

One thing to think about though. If you are near-sighted and starting to notice you are becoming far-sighted too (ah, the aging process), that in-between distance where your prescription lens makes up close objects blurry, is right where the backup screen focal point is. I find myself sliding my glasses down my nose to peer over the top of them while looking at the backup screen and then down again through my glasses to get a look in the side mirrors.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote