Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #11

Thought I'd share my experience with self jumping.

My rig is equipped with a Lead Acid starter Group 65 connected to the two Lifeline Group 31XTs with a blue seal ACR (bi-directional). The cable from the starter battery to the house batteries is a 2/0 gage wire. I'm a bit ignorant on the naming, maybe 2 gauge? Anywho, it's a big arse cable, maybe 1/2 dia of copper in there. This is one of element that feel like I over designed, that cable is heavy, but in hindsight it's been ideal for jump starts.

My lead acid starter battery went bad and wouldn't start my van while away on a trip. I simply connected the batteries with the manual switch on my dash, and bam, van started every time.

I replaced the starter with a Groupt 65 AGM when I got back home and it's been good to go so far.

My house batteries are mounted behind the rear axle under the van so connecting jumpers to them or the ACR inside the back of the van really isn't an option.

I do carry jumper cables too.

Justin

Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
Yes, I already have jumper cables and a small jump starter brick. I am more worried about being in the boonies with a dead starting battery with no one around for miles.
Just for clarification, my suggestion was to use the jumper cables between your own house battery and starter battery. Assuming your cables are long enough to reach, of course.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

Great ideas here. I am liking the idea of a small jump wire that just connects either side of the isolator. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I think I will run a 10 guage wire from either side of the isolator and connect that to a fuse block that is mounted on the firewall. If I need to make the connection to charge my starter battery, I just slide in a 20 or 30 amp fuse to charge it and pull the fuse when I'm done. This is an easy inexpensive solution and does not require anything to store in the van. Thanks for the help on this all!!
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Ok so I have a Ford starter solenoid that will combine them but the issue is when the starter batteries are low it does not work. Yes smb you can not wire to save your lives so I have a jumper ready to pull it in and all three batteries will start it.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
Orv

Garage
2/0 is another way of writing 00 gauge -- it's three sizes larger than 2 gauge.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
..That's what I've got....about a 9" 6ga battery cable that I can just put across the two posts of the isolator.....

If I'm stuck with a dead starting battery my plan is to jumper the isolator and relax for 15-20 minutes while the house batteries charge the starter battery thru my perhaps less than adequate battery cables connecting the banks together. I've run 2ga (not 2-0)cables so they may start a 5.4L without having to wait.

I store the small jumper cable in the passenger door pocket..cheap and simple.

The OP stated I have the stock SMB installed Sure Power 1602 battery isolator. If that were jumped using the stock Sportsmobile wiring (older E series Fresno build), the current inrush from the house battery to the starter battery would REALLY stress the existing wiring. Later models have a solenoid type isolator, and the routing wiring is likely much more robust. It would be prudent to trace the wiring from all those connections for AWG sizing for jumping. The surepower 1602 diode isolator is sized for alternator output currents, so the wiring for jumping is pretty undersized.....

Best course would be long jumper cables, you don't risk your permanent wiring weak link given the surge that the charged house battery could supply.....
The scenario of using existing internal wiring to jump, then having a connection fuse out in the boonies is a bad image...

Years ago experienced a melted splice between the isolator and starter battery (along lower frame rail) due to a splice between 8awg? and 6 or 4? awg, just from normal charging....The large diameter wire was overcrimped and strands broken due to the splice improper size transition.....Sportsmobile installed smaller wire into the Ford harness....The Ford harness would not be sized for jumping either.....
As a result of that experience (no charging - but why), we discovered the vehicle traveled over 120miles on just the starter battery...pretty amazing. Jumper cables were ready, but we arrived at our destination...slightly sweat soaked...

Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #17

My experience:
Parked at the Phoenix Open Golf tournament after overnight drive from So Cal.
Of course I left my lights on.
Of course dead as a road kill rabbit.
when I returned.
Retrieved my trusty Honda 1000 generator, plugged into the shore power plug.
Bingo.......I was on the go in a few minutes.
P.S. It comes with a car start/jumper plug in wire with clamps to car battery. Did not have much luck with that on a car yesterday.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #18

If you have a SurePower isolator, check the wiring. It may have a lug to switch them together. My used 2006 was actually wired wrong so the batteries were always together until the draw from the SurePower solenoid drained them down and the solenoid stopped working. Otherwise, just a jumper between the posts as previously suggested.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #19

Garage
In line fuse holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
Great ideas here. I am liking the idea of a small jump wire that just connects either side of the isolator. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I think I will run a 10 guage wire from either side of the isolator and connect that to a fuse block that is mounted on the firewall. If I need to make the connection to charge my starter battery, I just slide in a 20 or 30 amp fuse to charge it and pull the fuse when I'm done. This is an easy inexpensive solution and does not require anything to store in the van. Thanks for the help on this all!!
I happen to have access to my isolator so I used a Blue Sea Maxi in line fuse holder (6 ga.)and two ring terminals. Don't know if it's right or wrong but used it to jump the starter battery and also can solar charge from house battery. just pop in a 40A blade fuse. Never had a problem at least I don't think so.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF5153.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #20

can you show any pics of the two poles to connect?
ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote