Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Bank of 6 6-Volt house batteries... replacement questions...

Long time reader of the forum, but finally stumped with a question I can't find a specific answer on, in this forum (a testament of how great a resource this forum is!).

I have owned my 2006 6.0 EB for about a year now. The guy that had this originally built spared no expenses on this thing... basically every option I have ever heard of is on this thing. He had a substantial need for power, as there was originally a data satellite and other power intensive data center products to keep powered.

Well, after 6 years, it appears I am in need of replacing them. I am trying to read up on whatever I can learn for the best option... but also a bit financially challenged and a bit scared after seeing the prices of some options out there.

I assume because the house batteries are just under my head when I sleep, that I don't want "wet" batteries? But again, I am at a loss on this topic and could use any help. I need to make a decision really quickly, due to a business trip.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #2

Re: Bank of 6 6-Volt house batteries... replacement question

Unless the batteries are in an enclosed box that is vented to the outside, you need AGM batteries. You do not need to replace all 6. You may find two or four are enough. If they fit you can also change to 12 volt batteries. If you go with 6-volt replacements, look a the wiring before you take the old ones out. You will see they are wired in pairs, each pair in series, and the pairs wired in parallel. I am sure you can find posts that explain how to estimate your 12v power needs.

David
Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #3

To clarify what Dave said above:

You may find you don't need all 6 batteries to satisfy your electrical needs, 2 or 4 batteries may be enough. When you decide how many batteries you need, you should replace all of them at the same time, not just replace some of them to save money.

Many of us have only two house batteries, although ours are normally two 12V batteries wired in parallel. Two 6V batteries wired in series will give very similar function and the 6V batteries may last longer because of the thicker internal plates.

If you search in this forum you will find several threads that help you decide how much electrical power you need.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I got and replied to your PM before seeing this thread but agree with the above posts. I'd consider a good AGM 6V replacement and try 2 or 4 batteries compared to 6.

Not saying this is a good company to deal with but more as an example
http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart ... L1&uid=326

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

Thank you all... Dave, wanted you to know that I finally got this figured out a good bit. Replacing my 6 parallel/series 6volt Deka's with 4 (instead of 6). I don't have the money for 6 of them and not sure I need that many amp hours anyway! Never added up what I use daily on avg, but 680ah seems like far more then I need, especially due to having a substantial solar array.

Thanks everyone I will let you know how it goes!!!