Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Good info here. I think to sum it up basically wiring and strippers have gotten cheaper (cheaply made) and your strippers are old and dull.

I use these, which I think is what Steve is meaning. No numbers to think about and a quick learning curve.

https://www.lowes.ca/wire-strippers-..._g1195369.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
Ha. The smaller style Ideal is what most guys have in their pocket or tool pouch. I have a dozen of the Ideal ones and most have an extra hole of varying size caused by cutting a hot wire and blowing a hole in the cutter part.

As an electrical contractor for many years, I bought just about every fancy type of stripper known, but always came back to these, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Ideal Industries - Premium T®-Stripper

When they are new and sharp, they strip wire effortlessly, there's no adjustments to make, there inexpensive and light weight. After a few years, they get dull but still work fine, it just takes a little more effort as they don't cut completely through. Interestingly, none of mine have holes blown through them from shorting out live wires. I've only done that once in 30 years while using a pair of side cutters on a circuit I ASSUMED was dead. I'm not a fan of getting shocked, unlike some folks like Ted, the organizer of the Roaming Rally. A couple weeks ago, after several beers, I offered him $5 to put his tongue on a bug zapper. He did, and his reaction was priceless. There was a loud snap, a puff of steam and his eyes just about popped out of his head. He seemed paralyzed for a minute, and then the only movement he could make was to put his hand out to collect the $5. It was the best $5 I ever spent. I offered him another five to do it again, but the price went up to something like $100
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #13

Here's mine. Vaco model 1963. It has what I'll call a "patina" but it looks like it's been through hell. Probably invented shortly after the the discovery of fire.
Attached Thumbnails
patina.JPG  
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #14

Good link on wire strippers, terminals, crimpers, etc. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #15

I think it's poignant that the first one they said to avoid was like mine. Obviously they want more for themselves :-)
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Good link on wire strippers, terminals, crimpers, etc. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

-greg
That made for fun lunchtime reading, and it gained a bookmark from me. Thanks, Greg!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
I think it's poignant that the first one they said to avoid was like mine. Obviously they want more for themselves :-)
I suspect that was for its crimping and not necessarily its stripping ability.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I suspect that was for its crimping and not necessarily its stripping ability.-greg
They are equal opportunity strippers and crimpers. They suck badly at both. As he said, for emergency use only.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 AM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg View Post

Yesterday evening I stripped about a dozen ends the old fashioned way: very carefully shaving the sheath with a sharp utility knife and then trimming the flapping bits with a nail clipper. Nary a wire was lost, and after my frustration with the old tool, it was satisfying but slow.... a bit like whittling wood.
This method works well for solid wire, not so much with stranded type. As you've discovered the right tool for the job is not only "better" but its a time saver as well.

FWIW I've been guilty of holding onto one of the simple Klein strippers, not wanting to toss out a $12 tool just because it's "old". When using a new stripper I realize the cost is soon forgotten when the ease and quality of using a newer tool produces.

GreyDawg you'll get there skill-wise----this is a learned skill.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
As an electrical contractor for many years, I bought just about every fancy type of stripper known, but always came back to these, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Ideal Industries - Premium T®-Stripper

When they are new and sharp, they strip wire effortlessly, there's no adjustments to make, there inexpensive and light weight. After a few years, they get dull but still work fine, it just takes a little more effort as they don't cut completely through. Interestingly, none of mine have holes blown through them from shorting out live wires. I've only done that once in 30 years while using a pair of side cutters on a circuit I ASSUMED was dead. I'm not a fan of getting shocked, unlike some folks like Ted, the organizer of the Roaming Rally. A couple weeks ago, after several beers, I offered him $5 to put his tongue on a bug zapper. He did, and his reaction was priceless. There was a loud snap, a puff of steam and his eyes just about popped out of his head. He seemed paralyzed for a minute, and then the only movement he could make was to put his hand out to collect the $5. It was the best $5 I ever spent. I offered him another five to do it again, but the price went up to something like $100
Great story, thanks!

I'm a retired automatic train control tech. Of all the wire strippers I've owned I prefer the ones you linked to.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, it can help to use the next larger size hole and twist the strippers around the wire -- or, use the correct size hole to cut the insulation, and then use the next larger hole to pull it off. Sometimes, cutting the insulation twice helps -- cut once, then rotate the wire (or strippers) 90* and cut again.

I have to say, I've managed to never damage strippers by working on a live wire and shorting it to ground. That would get your attention. I have made other similar mistakes though.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote