Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #1

Garage
Batteries from Alibaba

I just got this from Alibaba:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...18d5731dZcD4Rb

For those who don't know Alibaba is like a giant direct shopping site for all things made in China. There are some great deals and some terrible ones as well. My thought on these is that it would be pretty expensive and likely very difficult to "fake" or make lesser versions of batteries of this type. Maybe this is worth a try as a trial for a few years. I'm curious what the forum thinks.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Team

I've gotten some counterfeit/mislabeled/crap lithium batteries from China. As soon as I saw them, and the fact they didn't match the picture and description on the Amazon page that I ordered from, I tried to get my money back from the seller, but I had to send the batteries back to China, and somehow they "never received them". Amazon made it right.

Herb

[EDIT: I will say that my batteries were 18650's and not major-size batteries.]
Old 12-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I just got this from Alibaba:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...18d5731dZcD4Rb

For those who don't know Alibaba is like a giant direct shopping site for all things made in China. There are some great deals and some terrible ones as well. My thought on these is that it would be pretty expensive and likely very difficult to "fake" or make lesser versions of batteries of this type. Maybe this is worth a try as a trial for a few years. I'm curious what the forum thinks.
Ya remember Alibaba and his 40 thieves,nuff said
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #4

It REALLY sounds like a SURE FIRE idea to me. Stay safe.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

VanDiesel -

"I just got this" like you just got the advertisement or you just got one of the batteries ??

I'm seriously considering redoing my 12V house electronics with some LiPo...

Thanks,
Steve W
Southern California
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
VanDiesel -

"I just got this" like you just got the advertisement or you just got one of the batteries ??

I'm seriously considering redoing my 12V house electronics with some LiPo...

Thanks,
Steve W
Southern California

In my inbox. I’m getting agm 6v batteries installed tomorrow at van specialties so I did not try these either.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #7

There's some perfectly good stuff on Alibaba. However, from afar, it is hard to tell it apart from things posing as quality products.

Those cells are most likely made up of a bunch of 18650s, and of those, there is a wide variety of quality out there.

Best case scenario you get a great deal on a battery. Worst case scenario, it burns your van and home to the ground. Since I really don't like the potential worst case outcome, I'll continue to source my lithium ion batteries from companies with US based engineering resources that imply some level of accountability.

I'm not implying that these or any other specific batteries on Alibaba are bad at this very moment. Just that there's no easy way of knowing how safe a particular item is.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
...I'm not implying that these or any other specific batteries on Alibaba are bad at this very moment. Just that there's no easy way of knowing how safe a particular item is.

Agree completely. One MAJOR reason stuff directly from China is generally much cheaper, is that many of those companies don't have to account for the cost of providing customer service, the cost of warranties, and the cost of returns.

Herb
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #9

i almost went this route but just couldn't justify the risk, check over on reddit as well and the sailing forums, but buying batteries on alibaba is a crap shoot. but please do let us know if you don't get burned, if only we could establish a reputable seller on there for cheap lithium batteries.