Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #11

Thanks posplayr

I actually was already aware of each of your bullet points. I think I like the idea of a solenoid but had decided it didn't work for my setup because I'll be using a propane heater as well. I plan on chasing mild weather but if I'm using the heater for any extended period I wouldn't want the solenoid on for the whole time eating up my juice. I was going to just have a manual valve in stead.

Chams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chams View Post
Thanks posplayr

I actually was already aware of each of your bullet points. I think I like the idea of a solenoid but had decided it didn't work for my setup because I'll be using a propane heater as well. I plan on chasing mild weather but if I'm using the heater for any extended period I wouldn't want the solenoid on for the whole time eating up my juice. I was going to just have a manual valve in stead.
I was just a little concerned that there was an attempt to minimize the risk of spark from electronics; there is an explosive consequence even if the probability is low. Risk is the product of probability and impact.

So your comment about solenoids prompted me to go out and measure the current draw with my trusty new DC current clamp. It is pretty high quality and measures sub amp DC current.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333681392226

I've got one of these but I try to be more careful with it.

https://www.newark.com/tektronix/a62...-dc/dp/01F2474

So at 12V across the coil of the solenoid it warms up and would be greatly helped by something flowing through to keep it cool. There was just at 1 A at 13.5V which I figure is LiFePO4 resting voltage.

I then dropped it down to 5V and the current read was 450 mA(as measured by the new clamp).

5/13.5*1=.37A so the clamp is reading a little high on the low scale.

I'll have to see if I can use a little DC-DC chopper to apply 5V for the solenoid control. These are cute and you can stick almost anywhere. Half the current is quarter the power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123798965111
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #13

Garage
Propex furnaces are usually installed inside a cabinet. There are gas and electric components in it. This can't be a avoided. The propane tank, regulator, piping, and most connections CAN easily be mounted outside the living space, which is the safest way to do it. Especially the tank and regulator since the tank is at much higher pressure.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

Depending on what you want to run on propane, there's always the option of using the small green tanks if it will just be a stove and/or Mr. Buddy Heater or whatever. Many vans are all-electric these days, or at least without propane installed.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #15

The Mr. Heater fuel filter is a good idea if you're going this route. The Little Buddy it's bigger brothers are prone to clogging due to the rust and other debris that tend to collect in reusable tanks over time:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Por...s%2C229&sr=8-5
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #16

EDIT: I see you removed this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
The The hose posplayr recommended has a regulator so it will not work with the Little Buddy. [/url]
As I previously stated, that regulator "works" (i.e. regulates the flame down to OFF)

It might not produce full output but the little buddies are known to generate too much heat for a small space like a van.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #17

It may work but, on the other hand, it will not screw directly on to the Little Buddy since The Little Buddy's receptacle is designed for a 1lb bottle. These are designed for the Little Buddy or any camp stove, BBQ or other appliance that's made to run off 1lb LPG bottles:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mr+heater..._ts-doa-p_2_25
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
It may work but, on the other hand, it will not screw directly on to the Little Buddy since The Little Buddy's receptacle is designed for a 1lb bottle. These are designed for the Little Buddy or any camp stove, BBQ or other appliance that's made to run off 1lb LPG bottles:
FYI

I tested this setup using the linked regulator at the 20 lbs tank. The pressure for an open Propane orifice is sub 1 PSI, and at least in the case of a Mr Buddy the internal high-pressure regulator still operates at this sub 1 psi level.
I was able to operate the combination of cascaded regulators (0-30 psi at the tank and the internal MrBuddy) down to off with the adjustable 0-30 psi regulator at the bottle. The Mr Buddy has no adjustment. It is always full on.

The filter is required because of the high-pressure leaching out oils from the hose. Regulating this at the tank should mitigate the issue if not eliminate it entirely. It is certainly safer to have reduced propane pressures in the cabin.