Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

BatteriesPlus: how are they to deal with?

I’m looking to replace my Duracell AGM group 27 deep cycle batteries that are over six years old. They held up pretty well and are at a good price point so I’m planning to go with them again. I can either buy from Sam’s Club, where they are cheaper but only have an 18 month free replacement warranty, or Batteries Plus, where they are $35 or so more but with a 30 month warranty. I bought my current three batteries at Sam’s, and have good, no hassle experiences the few times in the past when I’ve had tires and a battery replaced under warranty there.

My concern with Batteries Plus is that each location is a franchise, and I wonder if they are less friendly to returns than a big chain like Sam’s. The extra year of warranty from Batteries Plus would be nice, but not if they aren’t cool about taking them back if there’s an issue.

I’ve never bought from Batt+, so any real world input would be appreciated. Thanks!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

Garage
I had a starting battery from Batteries+ go bad that came with the van when I bought it. I didn't have a receipt, but they exchanged it for a new one with no questions asked. I replaced my 2 Group 27 AGM house batteries a couple years ago with Duracells from Batteries+ and they have been fine, no problems.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

I haven't had a warranty issue yet but I have now bought 5 batteries from them and their prices and knowledge are great, at least at my local store.

I'm a fan of the Duracells they are selling. I'm not sure about the cheapest ones they sell but their better batteries are East Penn/Deka and I've never had a problem with a Deka battery.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'm a fan of the Duracells they are selling. I'm not sure about the cheapest ones they sell but their better batteries are East Penn/Deka and I've never had a problem with a Deka battery.
My "old" Duracells have been great for the price. I've honestly not maintained them as well I should have, and they lasted six years (3-battery bank of group 27s). No complaints at all.

I've heard East Penn has an "outlet" battery store at their factory here in Pennsylvania, but I haven't seen confirmation of that anywhere, and they are a few hours away from me, unfortunately.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

See if your town has a Taylor Battery Systems location. There are two in my state and they sell a lot of Deka stuff. The branded stuff is much more $ than the same thing at Batteries+ but they get pallets of seconds from Deka on occasion. I have scored a few group 31 AGMs from them that were $80/per. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to when they get a pallet of them and the word is out where I live. They go fast.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

First battery I bought from them was a dud. I wasted far too much time figuring that out only to have them give me a hard time about taking it back. I don't remember exactly what they said, it was many years ago, but I do remember feeling pretty pissed off about the entire experience. Ever since, they're my least favorite place to buy anything. Take home lesson: Bad customer service experiences stick.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote