Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Battery Brand Opinions

So all the cable and other fun is on the way. Time to get serious about the battery. Best way would always be for me to pick up locally and not have to drive to far to get it. We do have a distributor up here in Palmdale, but I can get to the SF Valley quick.

My first choice would be to get a high quality AGM 4D from Lifeline. I prefer USA made and will pay a bit more to get it. But I gotta comparison shop.

Tons of Chinese made for below 400 bucks. Might Max and UB are all over amazon with free shipping. Then there is Vmax for 450.

Locally I can get a few with one USA made. Again, these are all 4D ~200AH. Place is right by my work

CB12-210 Centennial $421
DC210-12 Full River $521
EP-8A4DM Deka $547

So Deka is the USA made and seems to get mixed reviews. It's the intimidator model and some say it's a dual purpose and not necessarily a deep cycle.

I do have some quotes coming on the Lifeline with shipping. They can send it to my work, they have a lift so no issues there.

Just some musings and any help on this is appreciated. I overthink things and research them to death. Lifeline is expensive, but they are of the best quality which is not trivial to me.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

I just replaced my dying Universal with a Lifeline. About $550 and I picked it up locally from these guys:

https://www.powerstridebattery.com/locations (not sure where you venture on a regular basis, but there are some nearby-ish).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #3

Not a bad price. I am seeing one online for 560 with 20 bucks shipping and no tax.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

Boywonder has a guy in the OC that he buys batteries from. I think they were AGM and very reasonably priced. I would PM him to get the scoop.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
You might ask about pricing two or more batteries compared to a single one... provided you are thinking of a two battery system. Maybe you can grab a couple at a good price although the price Robb linked to for a single is a really good price.

I had a set of Deka's and they did a good job but were replaced with Lifeline's

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Boywonder has a guy in the OC that he buys batteries from. I think they were AGM and very reasonably priced. I would PM him to get the scoop.
He PM'ed me that some place. I been kind of putting this off but now it's getting to be critical.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

I had a Universal 4D because I figured they're just as good, and it worked perfectly after a warranty replacement on the first one I got.

But after 2 years, it dropped off pretty quick. Wouldn't hold a charge. Checked and rechecked system, everything seems good, so I bought a Lifeline, like daveb has recommended for ages.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

That seems to be the story I am running into rally, that the lesser made AGM's seem like a good deal, but they simply don't have the cycles and wear out too quickly. Read up on some marine and sailing forums where these guys really really depend on them.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
I've heard lots of complaints about the Universal but shouldn't comment being I've never ran them. SMB has been using them in the past so you'd think there would be more members out there with an opinion on reliability. If it was an easy job dropping my batteries, I'd figure on replacing them every year if I could get a set of them for under a few hundred bucks.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
There are a few of us here (at least me and 1der- 2 each) that are running Lucent Alcatel blems purchased from 619battery.com in San Diego. They may not have them on the website but I recommend calling and asking for Jeff.

Ramsey mentioned a while back that they were also getting them at Agile.....perhaps that was in a thread here somewhere.

They are AGM, slightly smaller than a 4D, they are 175AH each and are $125 each the last time anyone I know has bought one. My set is 3 years old and still working fine. My neighbor smoked a pair of these on his RV by using a cheap Chinese MPPT solar controller....no fault of the batteries...He's on his second pair and they are holding up well also.

One thing to note is that they are not a std automotive group size...they weigh 105 lbs each

If you order enough Jeff will deliver..........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote