Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #1

Battery connection: Auto posts vs L-blade?

About to buy a Lifeline 8D and there are two options, see links below...

GPL-8DL (L-blade)

GPL-8DA (Auto post)

Which is the better route? More common? Which should I buy and why?

J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #2

For House batteries? Whichever makes you happy.....or whichever is cheaper.

I imagine the auto posts will heat less even with way more amps flowing, but that's not something that matters with a house battery.

For house batteries, when I run my microwave (largest current draw) I'm pulling about 100A out of the battery. For comparison, when you start the van you could be pulling 400-500A out of a battery when cranking the starter, especially when cold.

Modern starter batteries commonly also have side mount terminals...these are smaller cross-section than old-fashioned posts and still handle starting currents quite well.

The L-post blades accept ring lug type battery cables; ring lugs are easily crimped to cables to make custom lengths, at least easily at an auto parts place with a crimper. I bought long cables for my house batteries on ebay and again, ring lugs are easy to find as terminations for custom lengths.

I'd go with the L-bracket blade type unless the other style was on sale/cheaper, etc.

Are you buying an 8D because you have a battery holder set up for that size? Where are you located?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

He is in Tahoe area and is often in SF Bay Area.

Question: where is this 8D going to mount? Might be better to go with two 6V Golf Cart AGM's or a single 4D?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

I think he needs some deer whistles first! ( I joke, but that was a bummer. I was extra vigilant driving up past Bishop last week on the way to Mammoth)

I am going with L-Blade so I can bolt those lugs down nice and tight.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Haaa, thanks Flux : D

This will be house battery only. The plan now to get me up and running is to mount it behind the driver seat. Then as I get things figured out it may move elsewhere as needed.

I like the capacity of the 8D vs the 4D and the difference is size is negligible I feel. Two 6V offer more options for configuration but slightly less capacity if I went with the Lifeline GPL-4CT.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Spicoli View Post
I like the capacity of the 8D vs the 4D and the difference is size is negligible I feel. Two 6V offer more options for configuration but slightly less capacity if I went with the Lifeline GPL-4CT.
If you don't need an auto group size and can possibly get batteries from San Diego to Tahoe consider the Lucent-Alcatel AGM blems from 619battery.com

175AH each; $125/each....a little smaller than a 4D....1der and I (and a few others) have 350AH for $250.....that's 71 cents an amp-hour!!
2003 Honda Element
Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

I'm not stuck on a particular size, just want capacity.

I didn't see Lucent-Alcatel AGM you mentioned listed on that site.

On a side note, will the safe discharge be the same between the 6V vs the 12V? I think you shouldn't go below 50% for the 12V if memory serves, is that the case for the 6V variety as well?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Spicoli View Post
I'm not stuck on a particular size, just want capacity.

I didn't see Lucent-Alcatel AGM you mentioned listed on that site.

On a side note, will the safe discharge be the same between the 6V vs the 12V? I think you shouldn't go below 50% for the 12V if memory serves, is that the case for the 6V variety as well?

Call them...ask Jeff about the lucent alcatels......I have his phone number sharpied on my batteries if you can't find a phone number.

yes 50% max discharge on any if you want reasonable life. The deeper the discharge rate, the shorter the life...less cycles.

There is a failure mode difference between a pair of 6 volt batteries in series and a pair of 12V batteries in parallel......if you lose one 6V battery you have no usable capacity.....with a pair of 12V batteries you still have the second battery....assuming the dead one didn't take out the good one with it.
2003 Honda Element
Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #9

is the 8D a direct bolt in for the 4D...assuming a "standard" 2005 EB50 build? the dimensions are a bit different accd to lifeline website, 10.89" on 8D vrs 8.7" on 4D for the width, height and length look the same.
seems a wider mount bracket would be required.
rarrace is offline   Reply With Quote