Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Battery Protector, Is 11.8volts enough to start the V10?

I'm only running one battery at the moment... I need and will install a second and possibly a third by the end of this coming week using the factory battery boxes on the Econoline passenger side frame.

My question is, if I bought/used one of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMS-334126/ Will 11.8 volts be enough to start my V10?

I've read a few posts regarding the battery savers, but Maybe I missed the important info about starting after it shut off at 11.8.

Another question, If I upgrade the alternator later to something much bigger then stock, will one of those savers be able to handle the incoming power?

thank you for your knowledge.

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Re: Battery Protector, Is 11.8volts enough to start the V10?

I thought, and I could be wrong, the amps are what matter in starting. However I've started my diesel with less than 11v (10 something, and it wasn't cold out...), so I'd imagine you would be fine with that unless the battery is toast.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #3

I'd hate to spend $100+ on it and find out the hard way and then have to find someone kind enough to give me a jump start.
Just hoping for some real world experience... thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Yeah, it will probably work but unless you get someone on this site who has used this product to throw their 2 cents in, you're relying on what the manufacture claims. I think it's called beta testing Maybe find some testimonials. BTW diesels have twin starting batteries for a reason and a gasser kicks over much easier for the most part. Other than not knowing anything about that model, not being waterproof kinda throws a red flag but the stats look OK.

When I kick on my ignition my battery voltage drops down to below 11.8v. The size and state of your battery has a big effect on starting but so does amperage. Make sure you run the correct size wire and rated connectors for your backup starting system.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

I've found ~10.5v is about the lower limit for starting in mild weather. In really cold weather (teens) it's probably almost 11v.

If you have a winch, 250 amps is not enough.

We recently pulled one of those BAttery saver units out of an '08 built-Tacoma 4x4 (with dual King remote reservoir shocks!). Even with the Optima at full charge, we still couldn't get the thing to start.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

No winch or plans for one, so I'm safe.
Also no plans for any large electrical items.
My laptop and a small TV would be the biggest power eaters...

thanks.

Should I order the one from summit racing or is there another I consider?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Why don't you just do a an Aux/house battery setup to run your toys and gadgets? They you wan't need to worry about the starting battery getting too low. My AUX battery (stock Ford setup) even powers the radio and trailer running lights.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

I'm not sure I really understand what you are trying to accomplish with your battery protector. If all you want to do is isolate your starting battery from your second/third or house battery there are simpler and cheaper ways to do it. I just had a second battery installed and used a simple relay like this one.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and ... 18665.html

When the ignition is on the solenoid allows the alternator to charge the second battery. With the ignition off the second battery is isolated from the starting battery and you can not draw it down to a point it won't start your rig.

If your concern is drawing down your main battery with accessories when you are parked with the engine off you will need to run all your accessory circuits to your second/third/house battery. Basically you want all your accessories on the other side of the relay from your starting battery. If you can't or don't want to go through the hassle of isolating all your accessory circuits to your second battery the battery protector may be the way to go.

I try and keep things simple and would hesitate to trust a gizmo like that to keep me starting out in the middle of BFE.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

My goal is to not run down the starting battery while I use my electronic toys.
When I had my 2000 PSD van I had run down the starting power a few times, leaving me to think the factory dual battery setup was not what I needed...
So I was considering using one of those battery savers along with two or three batteries to make sure I can always start the van.

And while on this topic,

I just spent some time with the girl at the Ford parts counter and we both can't figure out the exact parts I need to get the second battery mounted.

Maybe you could help.

She said that my 2005 could be different then my 2000 which had the second battery so if I order the wrong parts I'm stuck with them. (crap)

here is some paper work she had given me, maybe you could help me figure out what will work and which items I need to order.
As for the wiring, I'll do it myself and for the hardware, I'll source it myself too Unless you think it would be wise to get the nuts/bolts from Ford...

Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #10

Why not junkyard a PSD setup? I don't think the frame rail box has changed- Ford never changed that part of the van AFIK. Or ask what SMB uses- they do house battery group 27s there.

Also if you're installing a second battery, save your money on the charge protector and put it towards a separator. No point in making two batteries that will both go flat when your headlights are left on. The summit racing protector only makes sense to me if you're ONLY going to have a starter battery to protect.