Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Battery recommendations

The summertime blast furnace of Maricopa county AZ area tends to give cause to very short battery life.
What are the most recommended batteries for a 2006 6.0? We are not campered out just yet but do have video monitors in the ceiling (4) & HID head lights (white not blue). Currently running 2 marine grade batteries that run low real quick if they are experience extended cranking. Thank you for your battle tested responses.

CaveCreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

Re: Battery recommendations

I just went with duralast gold top in the van. Marine aren't really for starting, I ran a Optima marine in my Jeep and it caused problems (of course so does the Optima Yellow top I replaced it with...)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I prefer an AGM but you have to look into quality as a factor. I figure having similar batteries in both starting and house helps a bit with similar charge characteristics. I avoid sealed or vented wet cells because they are hit hard by heat. Basically they're a PITA to deal with. So I've gone AGM all around. The correct move? Really I don't have a clue. For me, time will tell. Lifeline makes a great house battery in 4 or 8D series. Starting? I went with Odyssey but they also make batteries for Sears and those are worth a look for the price.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

Hello Jage,
I've been using an Optima Yellow Top as a Starter Battery for 3 years now. No Problems so far. Should I be knocking on wood?

Bob in Tucson
2003 Ford V10 4x4
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Are you wanting a starting battery or a house battery?
I am running a yellow top for my main starter and like it, so far. If you are looking for a separate house battery I too would look at getting an AGM 4D or group 37 i think it is, Lifeline are very good and very expensive, I just got an East Penn AGM group 37 for my trailer, they make Deka, made in the good ol' US of A I believe.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbachani
Hello Jage,
I've been using an Optima Yellow Top as a Starter Battery for 3 years now. No Problems so far. Should I be knocking on wood?
Bad phrasing, the blue top is probably fine but it wasn't charging in the Jeep. The yellow top has been without issue, except that my alarm still doesn't work- which I attributed to the failing blue top, so the yellow bears the brunt of that blame unfairly. In addition I've heard lots of anti-Optima in the past few years so while I put bought it for my own Jeep, I'm hesitant to laud them (or put them in the SMB as starters).
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Are you wanting a starting battery or a house battery?
I am running a yellow top for my main starter and like it, so far. If you are looking for a separate house battery I too would look at getting an AGM 4D or group 37 i think it is, Lifeline are very good and very expensive, I just got an East Penn AGM group 37 for my trailer, they make Deka, made in the good ol' US of A I believe.
just thought id mention...i found a local (to me) supplier of deka batteries. im going with their 4d agm's. what a pleasant surprise to find the place after searching the internet for batteries and seeing the shipping cost. best price on a 4d i found was from arizona wind sun at $312 before shipping. which was like almost buying another battery since arizona to nj is faaaaar.

i was quoted $380 for each deka 4d. no core but they accept battery scrap at .20 lb.

if it werent obvious to everyone, i would look locally. so if you are in nj (all 3 of you lol) company is atlantic battery (formerly power systems) located in paterson, nj. website here (very basic as they are reorganizing the company) http://atlanticbatterysystems.blogspot.com/

gentleman i met with was bill rasmussen and he was very helpful

Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo

I haven't used them yet so I can't vouch but I came across some new AGM batteries at a local supplier (Boat Electric here in Seattle) while working on some other projects. The Energy One batteries look really promising. They come in a few different capacities and some interesting sizes. If you want to install them inside the van they're designed so you can easily vent them to the outside. When it comes time to replace my house battery I am going to look at using two or more of the Energy One's.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
I haven't used them yet so I can't vouch but I came across some new AGM batteries at a local supplier (Boat Electric here in Seattle) while working on some other projects. The Energy One batteries look really promising. They come in a few different capacities and some interesting sizes. If you want to install them inside the van they're designed so you can easily vent them to the outside. When it comes time to replace my house battery I am going to look at using two or more of the Energy One's.
This is a great find for my build! Their Group 31 battery appears to be a full inch shorter than other Group 31's, with the same amp-hour rating. Yet it weighs 10 pounds more (more lead?). I will definitely be looking in to this battery.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #10

For starting batteries, I've had good luck with Duralast Gold, and Interstate Mega Torque Plus (MTP-65?).

I've given up on Optima.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote