Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

Best 3-battery monitoring system for RB110S?

We're restoring / upgrading a high-mileage 2011 SMB Sprinter 2500 RB110S, and I've just replaced the two ancient house batteries with two high-end 105 Ah Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Deep Cycle Batteries. The AGM chassis battery is reportedly fairly new but I haven't pried it out to see what the brand, model and date of manufacture is (nothing visible on top).

The electrics seem to be all original, and the (old style) Zamp 30amp solar charge controller and Tripp-Lite inverter systems seem to handle the AGM batteries just fine, but offer no monitoring of battery SOC.

Is the Victron Energy BMV-712 Battery Monitor with Battery Balancer Bundle the best deal for accurate monitoring of all three batteries? I'm assuming that it comes with two shunts, or that additional shunts can be ordered?

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BMV-7...ef=as_li_ss_tl

I'm not interested in completely replacing all the electrics, inverter, controls, etc -- I'd like to keep costs under control, and will be sticking with AGM batteries for the next 3 years at least. I might replace the Zamp with the newer model 30amp solar controller, but if I don't need to I'd prefer to wait.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

You don't need the battery balancer that is for 24 volts systems. You should be able to use the victron 712 two measure the two house batteries in parallel and the monitor voltage only on your start battery.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

Greg -

Thanks for your prompt reply! Since the PO seemed to be using the AGM chassis / start battery as the only functioning house battery, I'm unsure of its condition, and as long as I'm spending money on battery SOC monitoring systems I'd like to include all three if possible. I guess I could always install the Victron SmartShunt (pricey!) or another SOC system for the chassis battery and monitor it separately.

I'm assuming that the house batteries in the stock SMB RB110S build are connected in parallel. Would the Victron 712 be able to get SOC data on each individual house battery, or would the single-shunt system just report on their SOC status as a pair?

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #4

The two house batteries should be in parallel ( if they were both 12 volt batteries) One shunt would keep track of the both batteries in parallel. I am pretty sure the the victron can also monitor the voltage of the starter battery.

I have always thought of adding a shunt to the starter battery, but I generally like to keep that as stack as possible. If you really wanted to do a SOC type gauge on the start battery I possibly look at the older Balmar smartgauge. While still pricey, I expected it to go down with introduction of SG200. It is just a simple two wire hook up, to get SOC data. It does not provide any current data.

-greg
Old 11-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #5

This is what I was vaguely remembering about the advice to disconnect.

This is in William Prowse's excellent basic beginner's guide to RV solar systems, Mobile Solar Power Made Easy!

Old 11-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #6

First and foremost, I would never attach the shunt directly to the battery terminal. That shunt looks to be 100 - 150 amp, probably undersized for a whole system. I expect that is for the solar controller. Shunts are resisters and by their nature generate heat, directly attached to the terminal exasperates that.

I am sure it could be done, I am not familiar with the lay out of the battery on a sprinter. I would expect that you would need the 5oo amp shunt and put some cable between it and the battery post.

-greg