Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Blue Sea 7622

I am contemplating if I should have SMB West swap the Sure Power 1315 battery separator for a Blue Sea 7622 and I have the following questions.

1) Do battery terminals need to be changed from a 3/16 to a 3/8"?

2) With folks that have already done this, is the Remote Control Contura Switch wired? Where was it placed?

3) Is the pushbutton for joining battery banks originally installed by SMB still active?

I am thinking that I would like the separator to isolate the house and starting batteries upon engine cranking (opposite to current setup where SurePower joins both banks when a 12V signal comes from the engintion switch). Blue Sea has this isolation option by basically wiring this 12V cranking signal to the brown wire off the 7622. This is all good only if either the dash pushbutton or the Contura Switch supersedes this brown wire isolation option and to be used in case of a dead starting battery. Anybody know?

fesimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #2

Re: Blue Sea 7622

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesimone
I am contemplating if I should have SMB West swap the Sure Power 1315 battery separator for a Blue Sea 7622 and I have the following questions.

1) Do battery terminals need to be changed from a 3/16 to a 3/8"?

2) With folks that have already done this, is the Remote Control Contura Switch wired? Where was it placed?

3) Is the pushbutton for joining battery banks originally installed by SMB still active?

I am thinking that I would like the separator to isolate the house and starting batteries upon engine cranking (opposite to current setup where SurePower joins both banks when a 12V signal comes from the engintion switch). Blue Sea has this isolation option by basically wiring this 12V cranking signal to the brown wire off the 7622. This is all good only if either the dash pushbutton or the Contura Switch supersedes this brown wire isolation option and to be used in case of a dead starting battery. Anybody know?
#1Yes, I believe the sure power was wired for 5/16 not 3/8. So there is a good chance that it is not a direct replacement. Of course, it really depends on how they wired your van.

#2, Have not done this, but I'm sure the ones that have it will let you know. But, if you are paying them to do it, well they should put it where you want it, unless it is technically not feasible.

#3 would be redundant, so I don't think it would pertain anymore. I would expect if you wired the isolation circuit in, that it is not overridden for anything but the manual override on the unit. You could wire that wire through a switch to disable isolation if you wanted to.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

If you have easy access to the separator, the only difference is being able to see what position the separator is in. The 7622 has full control at the separator itself. I opted for the remote because it's difficult to reach mine plus I don't want to accidentally leave it in a fully connected mode and wake up with dead starting batteries in the middle of nowhere. [edit] the switch is lighted to indicate the position.

You can do the same thing with marine battery switches and for a lot cheaper than purchasing another separator but idea of a separator in the first place is to prevent accidental discharge of the starting system, otherwise why even have it?

I also have my separator configured to "open" while starting the engine. I want to know when I have a problem with my starting batteries when they start to fail. When the separator allows the house system to help start the vehicle, (depending on the situation), you might never know if you have weak starting batteries until it's too late. It's happened to me and even fooled Ford. After I pulled the ground wire on the surepower I had at the time, the vehicle struggled to start. The 7622 has the feature to open when you crank the engine. If I need to jump start from the house system, I'll set the 7622 remote to do so, and after the engine starts, set it back to normal.

You can install the remote switch where you want. I put it where it is visible when driving and before I prepare for bed; it's over the side barn doors. There is no reason to put it at the dash. If you need to set it to jump, it's advisable to let the house and starting batteries be connected for a couple of minutes before you attempt to start the vehicle, so having to get out is no big thing.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #4

I had SMB West install mine. I wanted to go to the Blue Sea because of its magnetic latching and negligible load on the system when changing states. The Sure Power draws about 1.5 amps when it is engaged. That is a big hit when trying to recharge the battery/batteries with a single solar panel.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The lugs on the cabling were not changed. The holes in the lugs were 'opened' up a little. Greg is correct the existing Sure power has 5/16 inch terminals.

2. I opted not to install the remote switch. It requires a small amount of power to run the LED's and would require running more conductors to where ever it is located. SMB West was willing to install it. It would have been extra cost for the time and materials to do the work. I don't miss it.

3. I had them connect the existing push button & wiring to the Blue Sea. When ever I push the button now it will toggle the state of the Blue Sea. If it is open pushing the button will close it and vice versa.

I am glad I made the change out. Hope that helps.
/~fred
fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
I am thinking that I would like the separator to isolate the house and starting batteries upon engine cranking (opposite to current setup where SurePower joins both banks when a 12V signal comes from the engintion switch).
I'm constantly saying this but the above is not a feature of the SurePower. SMB ran a wire to force the switch closed every time you start. It's the wrong way to wire it, IMHO, but you don't need to upgrade the separator to fix the problem.