Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #1

Brainstorming chassis battery setup.....

And I could use some help.

Here is the case: New-to-me Chevy AWD has a smallish single chassis battery and it has side posts. I hate em.

For the time being I'll be rolling with one battery and this weekend I'm adding a small house fuse panel off the main power supply wire for the cab fuse box, which fortunately is right under the driver's seat. It's 4 or 6 gauge from the engine bay which was a pleasant surprise.

So, I will eventually add an isolator, probably inverter, solar and full house setup off of a house battery but for now I need to improve upon this smallish side post battery for an upcoming trip.

I could add the screw in charging post lugs and get some military style terminals for the time being (I actually already ordered this stuff, just can't decide if I'm going to use it):

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BA...a-450213759723

https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Milita...e%2C182&sr=1-3

Or I could just go get a bigger chassis battery, say a group 31 with studs instead of posts. I like these because you can very easily add things like winches or extra cables to isolators/batteries, etc. I'm considering this guy:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...BoCu7YQAvD_BwE

The current chassis battery seems healthy, 2019 sticker on it. It's an 800 CCA, 110 reserve capacity, group 78.

For the time being I am going to add only 1 thing to this chassis battery, winch wiring, but I can't even do that with this side post only battery.

Another consideration. There is PLENTY of room for the bigger battery. Some people have even done 2 78's side by side but I don't have time at the moment to build a mount for both. I should probably also note that the group 31 is almost 20# heavier than the current group 78. No matter what the specs are that's a good bit of lead.

Thoughts?

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:47 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
If the current battery is good and it’ll work by adding those military side posts, go for it and save some dough, otherwise if you’re looking to spread the wealth by going to a group 31, I think you’d be better off getting the AGM version. 100% maintenance free and rated for dual purpose starting/cycling with a 100ah. capacity, better for house/coach use where CCA rating is moot, I put 3 of these in our travel trailer.
BTW, I heard ya calling, saw that other post you called me out on, will respond tomorrow.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...up-31/sli31agm
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:24 AM   #3

Garage
Sounds like you should get a bigger chassis battery for the reasons you stated. Maybe dual purpose as REF suggested.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #4

I really hadn’t considered an AGM for chassis but they are used in a lot of vehicles these days. My old school way of thinking points to lead acid for a chassis battery. Anyway, I think I might just go for the AGM. Excellent warranty on this one at 48 mos. free replacement.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Brainstorming chassis battery setup.....

Right on….And the Duracell branded found at batts+ are USA made by east penn/deka, at least the AGM’s are
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #6

Most of the Duracells are. I've bought several, not AGM though. Unfortunately they are sold out (backordered nationwide) on the one you linked but there is a very similar one in stock I will likely go for. It's labeled RV/Deep cycle but all the specs are the same. Less warranty though.