Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #1

Lightbulb Brighter front turn signals?

In my current 01 E350 I feel the turn signals aren't bright enough despite trying different bulbs and lenses , does anyone have a good recommendation for bulbs?
I believe they are 3157.

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Best solution is a adding a pair of LED truck turn signals. I added 4" rounds to my Buckstop. I've also seen oval ones added just below the headlights that looked good.

As for bulbs, I switched to an LED bulb in mine too. They are only slightly brighter, but when the blinker flashes the running light turns off giving better contrast. But it still washes out on sunny days.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Yep that was the term I was looking for, washes away in sunlight...
But with so many bad LED bulbs out there it's hard to know which to buy. And I hate wasting money.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Do you have a euro type lens (clear) for your turn signals? If you do, I would consider switching back to the oem amber lens and using a higher wattage bulb.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

I have the factory all amber front turn signals...

Do you have a suggestion for higher wattage bulbs?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Garage
try superbrightleds.com for bulbs. i see/hear a lot of people happy with what they got from that place.

i think some of the oem corner lights ive seen are mostly clear with a small amber reflector in stead of all amber. aftermarket ones are available as well with a variety of options. one of those completely clear (no light directing facets) setups might show a bulb flashing better in direct sunlight. id stay clear of the blackout versions as they have no reflective chrome backing that helps direct light in all directions.

just make sure you know the local laws in your area and which ones they enforce. locally our corner and tail lights are required to have a total of a 2"x2" of reflective properties. amber in front and red in back. when i bought jdm lights for one of our cars they didnt have any reflectors in the corner lights, so i just added a small piece of reflective tape somewhere on each front corner of the car to make the police happy.

you might also contact member REDOVAL. he does a lot of custom lighting setups for the vans and might have a better idea for you regarding the corner light setups.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #7

Be aware that our vans don't particularly like LEDs as turn signal/hazards.. In fact, I don't think they superbrightleds even sells anything that they say will work.

Theoretically you just need to change the flasher unit, but I didn't have any luck when I tried that... of course, I bought a super cheap one. I did some research when I was trying this, and found some confusion and weirdness. May have something to do with this:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post127593

But if you figure it out, let us know!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Garage
^^^ if a simple replacement of the flasher was the trick that wouldnt be too bad of a swapout. has anyone been successful with this flasher swapout and can tell us which one you used?

i was told that the leds have so little draw, they blink erratically because the flasher assumes that the bulb is out. when i have a trailer plugged in, my blinkers work as normal, without something with a regular non led draw, they flash fast. i was told that you can buy a resistor and just put it inline so the flasher thinks there is a bulb in place. imho, the led bulbs dont work well enough in the van tails to go through the hassle. next time my tails are apart, i plan on putting regular bulbs back in.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #9

Can't you install tow mirrors with built in blinker lights? Or is that just the F series?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ if a simple replacement of the flasher was the trick that wouldnt be too bad of a swapout. has anyone been successful with this flasher swapout and can tell us which one you used?
I swapped mine. Worked great. I used a heavy-duty electro-mechanical clasher from NAPA

This should work:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...34L_0329947911

I think this is what I'm running. Nice solid click:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...F12_0325302173