Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Broken Terminal Post Clamps on 6.0 PSD

I just traced my "no - start" problem to loose battery post clamps because 1 ground and both positive post clamps have broken. This seems really odd to have 3 broken ones. Eleven months ago I had a AAA vendor do a battery replacement. Perhaps they were over tightened? I've done the replacement twice myself and never had a problem. From my local Ford dealer the complete battery harness replacement part is over $1000 but it can be found for $650 on line. I don't know what a labor estimate is yet. Something to remember the next time you have your batteries dropped for DIY replacement. Don't overdo that clamp tightening!

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Can't a full service battery shop just crimp on new battery connectors? Or, for that kind of money, buy a good hydraulic crimper and do it yourself. You'll save tons of money and get a new tool out of the deal.

Herb
Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Maybe but would still need to remove entire harness plus find the special clamps.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

You can replace the cable ends with a "Military Ordinance" battery terminal end.
The military terminals are designed to accept multiple cable leads.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan View Post
You can replace the cable ends with a "Military Ordinance" battery terminal end.
The military terminals are designed to accept multiple cable leads.
This is what I did, why spend $1k when you don't have need to...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #7

Also check out rockauto.com....they usually have OEM parts for 30-60% off dealer prices

I bought and replaced the main starter cable with an OEM from rockauto. Aside from the tight spaces, fit and install was perfect.

I found this on their site if you were interested in replacing the entire cable. Personally, I would change the entire cable as there maybe corrosion underneath the sheathing that you may not be able to see which can also kill your cranking power in cold temps. 13 yr old cables, yea I would do it.

2004 FORD E-350 6.0L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged Starter Cable | RockAuto
Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #8

Thanks djbonsu - that is good deal and I did not find that one when I was searching. I got one from EBay / Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas for $556. I found some cheaper but there were many weeks of delay with the couple that I checked. I agree replacement is better than replacing clamps as there is not a lot of slack to work with. Just curious, why did you need to replace yours? Also a rough estimate on how long it took you (thanks)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #9

I have a 2000 7.3 and I replaced mine because I found my terminals on both batteries not holding their clamping power and I had a hunch that my cables had alot of corrosion as the engine would barely turn over in arctic weather (10-20 deg F) with a brand new gear reduction starter and brand new batteries. Changed the cables and the starter spins like crazy in the arctic cold. No more slow turn over issues. Taking my time, installation took me about a little more than 2 hours (removal and replacement).
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Since the van was in my driveway I found a local mobile mechanic, an ex-Ford ASE service guy and who also owns a racing 6.0 PU. With his helper they spent about 3.5 man hours removing, hooking up the harness and getting the battery boxes bolted back up. Well worth it as my next option was driving somewhere with the broken clamps. For San Diego owners, consider Aaron at La Jolla Mobile Auto and Truck Repair for those maintenance chores. We are going to do a brake job next.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's