Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #21

Was at the Pick n Pull today getting some parts. The van next to the one I was stripping had a complete set of sealed beam headlights. Pulled those parts as well.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Thanks, mine are standard.
Looks like you got the way cooler ones
jredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:56 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Most every time a thread about upgrading or improving headlights is posted we almost never ever see before and after photos of the swap. I don't have any problems spending money or time on something that works but without images its tough to see for ourselves what changes or improvements are made.

The biggest interest for me would be how they look during a night drive. How far do they throw light and how effective are they at those distances? I drive mostly in the city during the day but maybe twice a month I'm traveling before dawn on long stretches of freeway where lighting is minimal so "better" headlights are always on my mind.

(FWIW I'm now using the SilverStar 6054 seal beams and cannot complain about them at all.)

I've strongly considered the LED's of all price ranges and that alone doesn't scare me off. Not seeing what I'd get for the expenditure is the big concern.

Just sayin' is all---anything improving our safety while driving is always worth a strong consideration.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Most every time a thread about upgrading or improving headlights is posted we almost never ever see before and after photos of the swap. I don't have any problems spending money or time on something that works but without images its tough to see for ourselves what changes or improvements are made...

There's two problems:

1) Photographing lights, their throw distance, beam quality, is hard to do a good job at.

I'm not affiliated with selling any light parts. I will say that seller Redoval does a pretty good job distinguishing the product he sells from the standard stuff that comes on a econoline. He should. His side gig is selling high qaulity lights, that are very nice, and come with a price tag to match.

2) Sorry you didn't find this post useful. I post things like this to help people out as a hobby. I take (valuable information) from forums, I also give back. I don't have unlimited time, nor motivation, to do a complete review and side by side review and comparison. If you want a chart showing brands and lummens, watts, throw distance, beam quality, cutoff contrast, before and after pics and comparisons, a seller of $79 LEDs sourced from China isn't likely to provide that. Neither am I. I have 'no dog in the fight' so to speak.

My motivation is more like "Hey, check it out, this worked for me, here's some part numbers, some pictures, and how to do the same". All I hope is that some of the stuff I contribute is helpful to some people.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
There's two problems:

1) Photographing lights, their throw distance, beam quality, is hard to do a good job at.

2) Sorry you didn't find this post useful. I post things like this to help people out as a hobby. I take (valuable information) from forums, I also give back.

My motivation is more like "Hey, check it out, this worked for me, here's some part numbers, some pictures, and how to do the same". All I hope is that some of the stuff I contribute is helpful to some people.
Please know I didn't intend to seem unappreciative for what you posted TomsBeast---quite to the contrary although it may not read that way here.

I'm of the same mindset about posting what's worked for me etc etc---no none of our forum-posting time is unlimited. I didn't realize photographing different headlight effects was so challenging so apologies from me for not sounding grateful.

I guess my point was seeing the after results would help choose lighting but if its difficult to depict accurately that might not be as helpful as I imagined it might.

Thanks TomsBeast!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #26

An absolute MUST DO

I was a bit skeptical of this upgrade, but I have to say I've never been happier with an upgrade I made to my vehicle. I even have bull bars that are in the way of the lenses but I can still see great.

I made an account just to say that this is a must do upgrade. Total cost for me was around $100 with the $89 headlights and $20 worth of junkyard parts. It was a relatively straight forward upgrade. Make sure to align your headlights properly
Mikethezipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 AM   #27

I see one person said thesr lights weren't hot enough to work well in the snow. Are others finding this to be true?
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #28

That's true. I spent last Thanksgiving roaming around the desert in the snow and the lights were covered with snow all week. During the worst of it, my headlights were plenty visible to oncoming traffic, but the light output reminded me of old 6v headlights. Once speeds picked up on the highway, most of the snow fell/blew off so it wasn't problematic for me, and it's extremely rare that we deal with enough snow to matter. Trucklite and JW Speaker offer heated led lights for that very reason, but not at this price point.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote