Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Detector

I've read through a few threads and haven't found or missed the answer. Mine says replace by May 2010. I think we've passed that. I ordered what was advertised as the replacement for the CCI 3400.0 from MTI Industries, a RV 65-542. It looked great, faceplate slightly different color but same size and screw hole placement aligns. The problem is the electronics is bigger and won't fit in the hole the old one came out of. I see a few options and hope someone has found the perfect one

1. Buy a bird for the SMB and if it dies, open the doors
2. Cut the opening bigger to accommodate the electronics, I suck at this
3. Buy a battery powered surface mount detector and find a good place to secure it
4. Follow the advise of someone here who has broke the code

Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #2

Re: Carbon Monoxide Detector

The simplest way is to open the hole up to fit the new module.

If you can't do it, maybe you have friend or relative who can do it.

Or, let us know where you live, maybe someone here can help you, especially since many of us will face the same problem down the road.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

Carbon Monoxide Detector

At the moment I run without one. One of these days I will install a battery powered one.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Mine also needs to be replaced. I think it's OEM from the 1998 build (and it doesn't work, anyway). Here's my question, though: if we don't have any "fired" appliances (heater, stove, etc.) do we need a CO2 detector? I assume so, as CO2 can build up from sleeping and stuff I guess. Or, is it just one of the regulations that isn't needed in the real world?

Better safe than sorry, though, I guess.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

if you ever use the engine to warm up the interior with the windows closed up you have a potential carbon monoxide hazard from holes in the exhaust system and or in the van body. Ditto if you use a portable stove or portable gas fired heater inside.

BTW: CO2 is carbon Dioxide which is not hazardous in most situations
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #6

I replaced ours last year and ran into the same problem of not finding an exact replacement. But the install turned out to be fairly simple.

As I recall, I marked out the material (fabric covering and the wood behind it) to be removed with a marker pen and slowly cut it out with a variable-speed sawsall using a metal-cutting blade. (Since it has finer teeth than a wood-cutting blade, metal-cutting blade will cut slower and thus gives you more control.) If you don't have a sawsall, you can rent one. The biggest hassle was clearing out stuff stored in the van below the detector so that it won't get filled with sawdust. Note how the wires are hooked up to the old detector before you remove it...they will connect to the new one exactly the same way.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Where should a CO detector be placed? should it be at floor level, or is having it mounted on a tall cabinet OK?

Also, if you're going to use propane in the van, is there a propane detector that should be installed?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

Carbon Monoxide Detector

CO detours can be located in the van. CO mixes uniformly in the space. Found that out when I was reading the install manual for the one I put in my house.

The propane sensor needs to be located near the floor because propane is heavier than air.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
CO detours can be located in the van. CO mixes uniformly in the space. Found that out when I was reading the install manual for the one I put in my house.

The propane sensor needs to be located near the floor because propane is heavier than air.
Great timing Larrie, I just ordered one for my cabinet build. I was going to put it at waist level but I guess I should go as low as possible? Do you think it's fine if it's RIGHT next to a direct vent furnace? I would think so but not sure as I've never used one.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Here are the install instructions for MY propane sensor, yours may have different instructions. The not to install portion should answer your question.