Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #11

Re: Cell phone booster

Yeah, I'm with you Herb and Woody. But like you said, there are emergencies....
From what I understand, these boosters are just that, boosters. Will they come up with a signal when you don't get any bars on your phone by itself??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #12

If there is no signal there is NO signal. The booster DOES need a signal to boost.

Our booster would take a unusable 1-2 bar fading in and out signal and give us most the time a solid 4-5 bar signal that we could complete a call with.

In our younger days we had no phone, no news paper and did not listen to the radio while camping. We would catch up on the "important" stuff when we got home. Lot of people could not understand how we could stay out of contact for 2-3 weeks at a time. It was nice. Of course if the President or Governor really needed our input I suppose we could have found a pay phone once and awhile. But alas they did not want or need our opinion.

Today with GRANDKIDS and such, a cell phone is a REQUIREMENT. If we did not have one I am not sure my wife would have agreed to a two month Alaska trip or to many of our one month trips. She is happy...I am happy I do like it to. When kids are youg they grow so fast. 1-2 months is a big part of there life to miss.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #13

Yeah, that's what I thot Len. I do want communications when we're in the boonies, and I carry a satellite phone but would like to find something that was cheaper. I guess I'll look into 2-meter stuff. I think you can get out from most anywhere with one of those.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #14

What got me going on this subject, last July when we were at the lower springs in Saline Valley, I was talking to someone and we got on the cell phone subject. He showed me that he had no problem using a cell phone as long as there is a cell tower in the area. He had a 4 watt booster and plugged the antenna into the cell. He had a full signal, when he unplugged the antenna the cell phone showed no signal. I was told by the caretaker of the springs that there is a cell tower on Cerro Gordo Peak. about 19 miles south, as the crow flies.

Scatter:
There can be emergencies and I want to be as ready as possible. I have been keeping in touch with my kids and relatives with my Spot messenger and we all think it's great. For a real emergency I have the Help and 911 button on it.
I always thought about a satellite phone but the cost always stopped me.

Thanks again to all,
Woody
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #15

The Wilson Amplifier has been really great. But like it was mentioned, you need to have some signal (i.e. at least half a bar). When I reasearched buying one, it seemed the ones that got better range were the *wired* models. My old phone was a Palm and had a jack for an external antenna. My new phone is a Blackberry Storm which does not have the jack, therefore I cannot use my amp. I will likely sell it and buy the wireless model, though it does not get the same range. I also have an older Kyocera wireless "air card" for my laptop. It too has the jack to plug into the amp so I can get internet through it.

If you really want the best chance of communication, you can't beat the Satellite phones. But they are expensive. You have to treat it like insurance.

I have a Ham radio 2M among others. I am a real novice but just started researching how to get better range without repeaters. It seems with the proper radio and antenna you can get really long distance (i.e. hundreds to thousands of miles) including bouncing off the ionosphere if the conditions are right. I would like to hear more about this. Blackeye and others if you can contribute to this, that would be helpful.

steve

If we get alot of replies I will create a new thread.
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Hey Steve,

Maybe you should start a HAM radio Help/Basics thread, so us novices can get tips on HAM operation from the experienced members. As far as I know, blackeye, adventureduo, and angel are HAMs.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #17

There is a forum for those who like to combine RVing and ham radio:

http://www.openroadsradio.net/modules/Jig/index.php

If you need to know where a 2 meter repeater is located, grab a copy of the ARRL Repeater Directory, It's a handy pocket sized guide. If I was going to do a lot of wilderness type SMBing I would consider getting a small HF rig just in case 2 meters doesn't cut it.

Have fun

Rick L
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Hey Steve,

Maybe you should start a HAM radio Help/Basics thread, so us novices can get tips on HAM operation from the experienced members. As far as I know, blackeye, adventureduo, and angel are HAMs.

Ray
I'm hooked on the subject of Ham Radio and started a separate thread.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p=34329#p34329
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #19

I’m using a Wilson cell phone amp and antinna with a crackberry. I modified the setup to also carry it on my motorcycle. With that rig I can “work” from dang near anywhere that has some signal. I’m moving up to HAM soon for com when I’m in the outback.
Till later, have fun.

John
'84 VW GTI
and lots of other assorted toys
FunHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunHog
I’m using a Wilson cell phone amp and antinna with a crackberry. I modified the setup to also carry it on my motorcycle. With that rig I can “work” from dang near anywhere that has some signal.

John
John,
Do you have the wireless version of the Wilson? I have the wired version but my new blackberry doesn't have an antenna jack on it so it will not work.
steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote