Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
Site Team

...and now my possible thread diversion. Just wait until the first (second,third) time you forget to install the Ravelco key and your engine just cranks but doesn't start. I've done that a few times on the three vehicles I have/had and thought there was something wrong with the vehicle. I think that's the hope that the would-be thieves think the same thing and move on when the engine doesn't start.

Herb

Old 12-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^ I would agree 100% there BroncoHauler!

It seems once a crook is inside they're assuming turning the ignition lock will make for smooth sailing---as you've witnessed first hand the Ravelco takes that away from them.

As we all know IF they want any one vehicle they'll find a way to have it. Leaving a van unattended at a campsite etc would scare the bejebus out of me---knowing someone fairly well motivated would have more than enough time to disable a screaming alarm and go about finding what other anti-theft device was engaged.

In my case if the Ravelco slows them enough to discourge their theft it will have done its job.

On another note since this thread has so far no usable answers.........the highest level of securing in any sort of device has three elements:

1. Something you have, ie alarm system/Ravelco.
2. Something you do, ie engage the alarm or remove Ravelco cap/
3. Something you know, password OR how to defeat your own alarm(s)

When those three things are combined its easier to see how they each contribute to better security. We've all experienced how locking our vehicle doors is NOT as secure as it once was---not with tempered glass so extensively used these days. That would be #2 above and its just not enough these days.

So using that information we might all be better able to construct our own better theft deterrent devices or systems. Just remember to NOT forget any of those three steps and how to defeat them when YOU want to do so!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #13

I had a Ravelco installed last year (pre COVID-19).
I ordered on-line.
Phone call for installer and we agreed on a date and time.
He was spot on.
I was impressed with his skill and commitment to installing a unseen Ravelco wire connection to the fuse box. All wiring was integrated with the existing harness from the fuse box to the interior plug. I am very pleased with the workmanship and the product.
It's not sure it's a 100% sure answer to auto theft but it is one more type (layer) of protection.
"If the really want it they will get it"
I feel good when it's sitting in my driveway (unplugged) behind my MB which is behind my Ford Edge.
There are a lot of products out there I happen to have chosen Ravelco.
HighCountry
"2003 E350 7.3 SMB E50 4X4 285,000 and happy when adding more"
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm pretty much of the same mind HighCountryMike----thanks for the reply and sharing your experience too.

I'm a bit pig-headed, have far too many tools and a border-line good grasp how to install the Ravelco device---I can't see paying their fees for work I can and will do myself.

They don't have any "authorized" installers in my entire state nor the four bordering Ohio. Since there's no real training their "installers" under go that too doesn't sit well with me.

I'm thrilled you found a good installer. Like yourself Ravelco is by no means completely theft-proof but we both agree slowing a potential crook more than likely works as a great deterrent or at least a hindrance.

PS to anyone looking in on this thread: My original idea where to splice into the chassis wiring for both the starter relay and inertia switch has changed a bit. When motivation and better weather hits my area I'll go about mounting and incorporating my Ravelco device. I've designed what I think is a more easily reversible scheme should that ever be desired or necessary.

I solemnly swear to fully document that process in case someone would want to do this DIY too. FWIW the original eBay seller I used for my parts has just ONE left--if anyone would want it PM me for his contact info. The Ravelco devices can NOT be found via an eBay search---active listings were contested by Ravelco as being counterfeit parts and removed from that site.

Thanks y'all!

J W
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote