Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Central Junction Box R&I ??

I'll be installing DIY Ravelco in my 2005 E350 5.4 gasoline van in the near future---in the pre-planning stage at the moment. I'd like to remove the CJB (aka inside cabin fuse box) to splice into the starter motor relay, Tan/Red wire running off F2.33 (10A) fuse holder. Making the needed splice strikes me as being "easiest" from the backside of the CJB. There are other accessible points along the circuit path I could use but this is my preferred location---for now anway.

If you've done this for any reason and can share a bit of knowledge or warning I'd greatly appreciate it!

TIA

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #2

Garage
JWA, from all I've read many of your contributions the past several years its obvious you have talent & skills (way beyond what I would even consider attempting) so I'm sure you'll prevail in your DIY Revelco install, but thought I would share this in case it holds some interest for you; Seems Revelco is running a "special" currently...I just received an e-mail earlier today - Initially I had my install scheduled back in March, but that was cancelled (for obvious reasons). And quite frankly been too busy with work the last 7 months to even think about reaching out to them again.
Not sure if this is available to everyone, but you could inquire.

"we would like to offer you a one-time exclusive price of $549.95 and we will pay the sales tax"

***It's a great deal, but this price is contingent on scheduling the installation on either of 2 specific days they outlined. Not a problem for me, but it may also just be one installer trying to max out his weekly schedule.
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #3

I bought one as well from JWA's thread notification. I'm thinking starter relay and Fuel pump inertia switch...or perhaps starter relay and some other "engine run" circuit.

Of course there are zero instructions with the device but I imagine ohming out the caps will give us the "key". ...then it's just work from there.

..pretty sure the starter relay is fuse 33....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I bought one as well from JWA's thread notification. I'm thinking starter relay and Fuel pump inertia switch...or perhaps starter relay and some other "engine run" circuit.

Of course there are zero instructions with the device but I imagine ohming out the caps will give us the "key". ...then it's just work from there.

Same boat here. My electronics installer here is a genius so I'm deferring to him.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
JWA, from all I've read many of your contributions the past several years its obvious you have talent & skills (way beyond what I would even consider attempting) so I'm sure you'll prevail in your DIY Revelco install,
You flatter me sir---and since I like it I say thanks a heap. Like so many other extensive or possibly involved wiring modifications I tend to ruminate for a very long time before cutting any wires. My ideas on the Ravelco DIY install is similar---I'm pooring over my EVTM's and looking for the circuits I want to diable, those that would be most easily accessed.
"we would like to offer you a one-time exclusive price of $549.95 and we will pay the sales tax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
***It's a great deal, but this price is contingent on scheduling the installation on either of 2 specific days they outlined. Not a problem for me, but it may also just be one installer trying to max out his weekly schedule.
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
I've seen that same ad on their website---perhaps its arrogance or just being dumb but I'm NOT impressed with Ravelco the company, their product on the other hand quite spectacular. It was a stunning relation learning they do NOT have any sort of representation anywhere within 200 miles of me. I'm not crying, just stunned the entire state has no one.

Their prices aren't that good IMHO but its their product so not really open to bargaining. Still they offer no factory-supported or assisted training leaving the quality of installation up to whoever steps up and buys one of their "dealer packages". With a car alarm/stereo shop on every other corner it still baffles me no one has offered Ravelo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post

I'm glad you snapped on of these up----I now have three bought at the right price so am protected into 2321 I think!

Correct on the starter relay fuse being #33 or its later CJB designtion F2.33---same fuse, same location, different number is all.

Looking at the Ravelco you'll find two of the longer wires with white tape around each one---those are a pair, the other two remaining are also a pair. Place the "key" and you'll see continuity for the pairs. Like yourself I'm guessing the shorter wire is a ground, for what I'm lost. Its all fricking plastic!

If I forgot to mention I'll "protect the fuel pump AND starter relay---I have two protection circuits so they'll be get used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Same boat here. My electronics installer here is a genius so I'm deferring to him.
Not a thing wrong with that---if I could find someone I trusted to do the physical part of all this I have it aready mapped out. I'm so very particular how my wiring connections are made I'd NOT want to work for me.

Thanks again guys---still looking for advice how to unfasten that CJB so I can proceed.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Hi folks, I saw in a search that some think the Ravelco is not needed in later model vehicles because of this thinking - - "Which are kind of useless on, modern cars what with immobilizers being in every new car nowadays." - - and one should think about a GPS tracking/alarm device; tow theft of the car/truck, make off with it immobilizer or not, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

We have a 2018 E-350 Cutaway. Thanks! Em -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec_n_em View Post
Hi folks, I saw in a search that some think the Ravelco is not needed in later model vehicles because of this thinking - - "Which are kind of useless on, modern cars what with immobilizers being in every new car nowadays." - - and one should think about a GPS tracking/alarm device; tow theft of the car/truck, make off with it immobilizer or not, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

We have a 2018 E-350 Cutaway. Thanks! Em -
And the process of drifting away from the original topic begins...........should have known.

The notion something like the Ravelco is NOT needed smacks of foolishness. ANY thing like an immobilizer the factory or even aftermarket can conjure up can be easily defeated----criminals are just that smart.

Where the Ravelo excels is its so low tech and rarely encounted AND simply NOT easily defeated in a short time its far far more beneficial than any other type device. Crooks will look for and be somewhat prepared for the "high tech" stuff, they don't anticipate Ravelco's disable circuit interruption action. The key to stopping your vehicle from being started and driven away is slow them down long enough they run away in fear they've attracted attention.

While I personally think Ravelco's gradiose claim they've NEVER had a vehicle be stolen with one of their devices installed PROPERLY if the slow down the process they've earned their keep, at least at the cost I've paid and will install DIY.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #8

My apologies for the drift JWA. And my many thanks for the thoughtful and detailed answer. Best, Em -
Old 12-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #9

bec n em: Not sure about your 2018 cutaway...

But the old plain vanilla econolines don't have chipped keys....So we look for other ways to protect them.

Thieves pop the ignition and they're off.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #10

Boywonder, more helpful thoughts, thankyou!