Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

charger inverter info

https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-SAM-15...=dradisplay-20

Looking at adding a charger/inverter to my van. Are these worth it or is there something more recommended

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

I like the Samlex line. Some questions:

How big is your battery bank? Type of batteries (AGM, lead acid?) What are your draws? Do you need a transfer switch for shore power/generator power input?

15 amps of battery charging is not very much if you are dealing with a large battery bank and draws. If AGM batteries, they can take a faster charge.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

I have 2 group 31agm batteries @210amps total

I only have a truckfridge 65 hooked up with 24 watts/hr usage

They are charged via Blue Sea 7610 ACR while the van is running, which I know is not always enough. Since the van may sit for a few days at a time I just wanted something to keep up the batteries while parked in the driveway.

I do have a Honda EU3000 that we took to Yellowstone last month but only fired it up for 2 hours one morning to warm up the block heater.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

I think rule of thumb for a charger is 15 to 20% of AGM battery bank size, but if just using 15A for maintaining / charging while in the driveway or while on generator or shore power you should be fine, it will just take a bit longer.

AGM batteries can take a faster charge, so what is nice about a larger charger is the ability to bring the AGM batteries back up in a shorter period.

The Honda eu 3000 - wow, that is big!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

I purchased the Honda 13 years ago. Someone put half down on it and then never came to pick it up after a year. Bought it for half price. I saw the twist lock plug and thought it was 220...oops but for the price I did not cry.

Is there a larger inverter/charger that you recommend?
A 1000 watt inverter would be large enough for any of my needs if they should rise.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

Nice score on the Honda!

I went with the Samlex EVO-2212, but that is overkill for your application. Check donrowe.com for other manufacturers/units. I was looking for a high end unit which come down to Magnum or Samlex.

Do you already have an inverter? What are you planning to run on 120v?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

I had great luck with this model. I've had two of them in two vans. Very quiet and trouble free, allows you to hard wire outlets instead of just having a couple. I think SMB used it for awhile, or one similar, and they may still, but I added my older SMB and home build didn't have one at all so I added. I think I remember paying around $400 apiece for them.

https://www.tripplite.com/1500w-powe...tput~RV1512UL/
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

I like the Samlex stuff too...have their solar controller but not inverter/charger.....

That one has a lot of features for the $$.

I have a 1000W inverter and use it mainly for running a 700W microwave, which pulls just about 1000W AC.

I drool when I see 1der's inverter/charger......unforch, there appears to be nothing in between these two from Samlex in inverter/chargers.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

Which model does he have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Which model does he have?
One of these puppies.....not sure of the exact model......

Samlex America -- Products
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote