Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #1

Charging Problems

It's cold here and I feel like my starter batts are on their last legs. I've been too busy to check anything but now the van won't charge. I have a warning on the control panel "Node 0 W9" which is "Battery Temperature Sensor Not Detected. Check connections." or something like that. I the same warning once before when the Alternator had gone out and the BlueSky was reading 10v.

There is 110v in the line but the van outlets don't have power and the charge light won't come on. I thought I tripped a breaker when I plugged it in hot, but the only 3 breakers I remember are on the front of the couch and I've tripped and reset all 3. I've cycled the panel through just about every available option and ran the van at high idle for 10 minutes trying to get a charge light both while running and after switching off.

Is there a breaker I'm missing? Something else that could be the problem?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

Jage,
You may have to reset the GFI outlet (Button should be on the outlet, you need to make sure you have the breakers on and power to the outlet for the reset to work)

There is a 12 volt breaker that has a reset also on the 12 volt distribution panel.

Hope this helps

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #3

Yes I checked the GFI and all outlets have power from the Xantrex, but not from shore power. Didn't know about the breaker reset.

Also I called Sportsmobile and after suggesting checking the 3 relays and the GFI said "Call Xantrex it should be under warranty."

Then I remembered that I'd spent a day rewiring the house and that nearly none of the outlets were grounded, and that the Garage was still on my to do list.

Sure enough the garage where the SMB is plugged in was not grounded. After about 2½ hours of messing with some truely jacked up wiring I gave up and plugged it in through the kitchen window, to a properly grounded outlet.

*BAM* Charging! So that was it, the Xantrex won't charge or power the outlets from shore if the outlet isn't grounded properly.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #4

I have found in doing electrical trouble shooting on spas and hot tubs to always start checking at the house electrical panel first and then going down the line all the way to the component you think has the problem. Yes I did learn this the hard way and have spent many hours scratching my head only to find out it was a half stuck breaker only giving me 120v instead of 240v.
Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote