Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #1

chassis batteries

2005 E350SD 6.0L PSTD Torqueshift SMB RB15 Class "B"
Chassis build date 10/2004
Well at three [3] years, the chassis batteries gave up the ghost.
Called the local Ford dealer to see if they could get it in and finished today.
Yes, said they.
Called Good Sam Road service and said I needed a tow.
Rep said they usually try to jump start first and automated service would call with ETA of truck.
Two hours later truck arrived but couldn't get it started after trying 45 minutes.
Then said a bigger truck was needed to tow, his couldn't.
Called Good Sam again and waited another hour for second tow truck.
While he was backing up to my SMB his brakes failed.
No he didn't hit my SB.
He called for two more tow trucks, one for him and one for me.
After all this I finally got to the Ford dealer about 1:45 PM.
New batteries, LOF, trans flush, and $680 later I headed home @ 6:00 PM.
Just another beautiful day in the neighborhood.

6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Well the response by Good Sam doesn't sound the greatest, which is especially dissapointing since I just signed up for their Emergency Roadside Service last month.

What made you go for a trans flush, just convenience since you were at the dealer?

Herb
Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about the problems. When my SMB died a couple weeks ago, I ended up at Ford's roadside service center on the phone. Putting aside my dissatisfaction with the dealer that performed the work, I will say that the Ford Roadside Service customer service was a good experience. Considering I was off the beaten track, I had a flatbed tow truck show up in 70 minutes on a promise of an hour. I did mention the weight of my vehicle when I requested the tow.

I would have never thought to call Ford for the Roadside service, but I called my local Ford dealer to try to trouble shoot my problem and they forwarded me to the roadside service people. I wonder if Ford outsources this or if it is in-house? This is a service that is part of the standard warranty. I wasn't charged for the two which was about 65 miles +/-. I still need to submit my hotel and rental car receipts for reimbursement from Ford.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #4

Re; Chassis Batteries

Wellllll,
on the trans flush, I didn't have my service record with me so I called the previous servicing dealer and got inaccurate [or misunderstood] information which led me ro rhink it was {nearly} due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Well the response by Good Sam doesn't sound the greatest, which is especially dissapointing since I just signed up for th eir Emergency Roadside Service last month.

What made you go for a trans flush, just convenience since you were at the dealer?

Herb
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I had to be towed from below Yosemite and good sam GMAC came through very well. I was upfront with them as far as the weight of the vehicle and they sent the correct tow. They wanted to send me to Sonora (the nearest Ford dealer), but the road was full of curves and the tow truck driver wanted to drive me to my house. At first they refused to take me home because it was slightly further away but were able to be convinced that it would be more difficult to go to Sonora. I don't recall having Ford roadside with the van only 3 months old but being the problem was an SMB issue, I don't know who would pay for the tow. My guess is SMB would. I wish I had a service that would tow me to anywhere I asked within reason at a reasonable cost. How long does the Ford roadside last? Ken your house battery would not start your rig? I had a very distastefull experence with Ford and my starting batteries. 1 was bad and 2 local dealerships both said they were fine. I had to take it to a non Ford shop who dropped the batteries and found one was bad. I re-installed with Delco 850 cranking amp batteries. Ford should have payed for this, instead it cost me 230 out of my pocket

Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #6

Dave;
I was also upfront with GS as far as the weight of the vehicle and they sent the incorrect tow on the theory they'd get me going with a jump start.
Guess I should have called the tow company myself and explained it to them also.
I requested the nearest Ford dealer because there are several shops nearer but, I try to have all my service done at dealerships, which keeps a record online @ myford.com.
Although I have both GS and AAA, I wish I had a service that would tow me to anywhere I asked.
Ford roadside lasts three [3] years.
As for the house batteries, the chassis batteries were dead to the point that they ate up all the energy we threw at them and still wouldn't start the SMB.
This episode got me wondering, if the SMB is on shore power and the radio switch was "ON", might the inverter help charge the chassis batteries?
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
Old 12-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Ken wrote:
"This episode got me wondering, if the SMB is on shore power and the radio switch was "ON", might the inverter help charge the chassis batteries?"

Boy, mine sure did. In fact with one bad starting battery and the inverter in the charge mode, the isolator closed and pumped all it could at the bad battery. In the morning it was so hot I couldn't keep my hand on the battery box. So if the starting batteries are low it will charge all the batteries in the van, house and start. Of course this was due to the bad battery. Normally it charges without any harm on my 2006 and the newer isolator.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote