Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Annie O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: OH
Posts: 512
Looks like lots of good info already - thanks- I'll need to read your replies in depth later and answer accordingly.
Took rough measurements to get layout ideas flowing.

I have a shop manual bookmarked to buy just have not ordered it yet. I hope it is better than owners manual. I actually ID'd a few switches faster by looking at online supplier websites than the owners manual which is astonishly slow to pick through. But then I've never owned a Ford come to think of it. There is 'technical writing' and then there is shoot-me-now verbose.Zzzzzzz

When I asked about circuit diagrams I meant does anyone have schematic sketches of the electrical systems they have installed so I can get some idea of how people are wiring theirs?

So much knowledge on here, I am scrambling to keep up! the learning and problem solving is fun
__________________

Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,710
Scalf77 is likely to have the best help for you, but I can tell you your best bet may be just to ask how to do certain things. I know it's not an answer to your question, but 'how do you wire a fridge' is easier than posting an entire build's wiring layout. I could design and lay out an entire wiring job for your build but putting it on paper is basically impossible for me. Perhaps it's why I didn't make it through college.

__________________

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 10,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Scalf77 is likely to have the best help for you...
Now if Scalf would quit and get into the van (electrical) business like MGMetalworks is on the chassis side, that would be the perfect storm.


Herb
__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Scalf77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 2,253
Herb,

I actually got caught up in Intel's ACT program, corporate america is not the place to be if you are on the wrong side of fifty. I was compensated well, so in the long run it is OK. While I would not shut the door on a Van Electrical Business, I am currently not leaning that way. I am working on some a CAN-bus controlled power distribution center, that I may make available

Now, for the OP, I would start with "The 12 Volt side of life" The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).

It is a good primer, for RV electrical, and a good place to start if you have not already. ABYC standards are my preferred guidelines to code issues, they will exceed anything I have seen in a RV. Blue Sea Systems is great resource for components, but also has a excellent circuit wizard. https://www.bluesea.com/

Don't be worried about asking for clarity on some of the terms and their impacts, there are plenty of people here on the forum that can help. Get a idea on what items you want, and where you want to put them, that can alter you plans. Specifically keep in mind any potential upgrades, as you might be able to wire for those things in mind. And while it can be easy to draw in it up on a circuit diagram, you may find that actually fitting things in the van a barrier to actually following that diagram, so you may have change things.

By all means, feel free to PM me questions, or I would even consider being a paid consultant if you wanted to go that route.

take care.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Herb,


Now, for the OP, I would start with "The 12 Volt side of life" The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).

It is a good primer, for RV electrical, and a good place to start if you have not already. ABYC standards are my preferred guidelines to code issues, they will exceed anything I have seen in a RV. Blue Sea Systems is great resource for components, but also has a excellent circuit wizard. https://www.bluesea.com/


-greg
Great idea! I forgot about that. That's absolutely a good read for anyone, but certainly the OP.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Annie O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: OH
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
If you want to be really nice to any future owners, amend your copy as you add things, after you've completed the work.
Had a super busy weekend, now week but wanted to acknowledge the wonderful input here. Thanks for reminder too I have not ordered shop manual- gee I did manage to find installer and order my RIP kit tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I would start by figuring out roughly what you want to do....and start a thread here.....

And leave room for future expansion.....w
Have to admit- end of summer, early fall soon- PRIORITY: Enjoy it! Dialing in layout, sleeping area will be first so I think that will help me decide what electrical is on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Also, please provide a little more detail about your van.... Which motor? What year? Does it have a frame mounted battery or batteries?

Ford actually did off a "house" battery option most years with gas motors, so that could give you a starting point, or at least an idea how to package and mount your house battery.
2011 E350 V10 XLT has up fitter switches Ill post pics. THINK I found fuses but have other pressing matters so getting acquainted on slower schedule. Will get some photos up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I assumed you bought a converted van, but if ust a stock van, then yes, Ford factory manuals are your best bet.
Herb
Stock van. Decided to go for #1 priority, 4x4 VAN because I want a simple layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
It's the way that the auto industry does it......sometimes there is a secret decoder ring/legend in the front of the book.........
Good point... used to looking at blueprints an keys for pages, although when I was estimating one team member did most of the electrical takeoffs due to time crunch. Always looked interesting to me, so excited to have a real world reason to learn
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Annie O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: OH
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
'how do you wire a fridge' is easier than posting an entire build's wiring layout. I could design and lay out an entire wiring job for your build but putting it on paper is basically impossible for me. Perhaps it's why I didn't make it through college.

I do see your point!
Not sure that applies to college, you sound knowledgeable- - I'm just a visual learner so thats my best reference point. [look at drawing sheet- research-repeat]. Doesn't mean my style works for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Now if Scalf would quit and get into the van (electrical) business like MGMetalworks is on the chassis side, that would be the perfect storm.
Herb
I like that perfect storm concept. It is funny sometimes we miss what our friends can see as our biggest strengths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I am working on some a CAN-bus controlled power distribution center, that I may make available

Now, for the OP, I would start with "The 12 Volt side of life" The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).

It is a good primer, for RV electrical, and a good place to start if you have not already. ABYC standards are my preferred guidelines to code issues, they will exceed anything I have seen in a RV. Blue Sea Systems is great resource for components, but also has a excellent circuit wizard. https://www.bluesea.com/

Don't be worried about asking for clarity on some of the terms and their impacts, there are plenty of people here on the forum that can help. Get a idea on what items you want, and where you want to put them, that can alter you plans. Specifically keep in mind any potential upgrades, as you might be able to wire for those things in mind. And while it can be easy to draw in it up on a circuit diagram, you may find that actually fitting things in the van a barrier to actually following that diagram, so you may have change things.

By all means, feel free to PM me questions, or I would even consider being a paid consultant if you wanted to go that route.

take care.

-greg
Greg, CAN bus- control network systems? interesting stuff. I understand that is a very good career field now. As for contacting you- THANKS I will when I get further along
I guess what I really meant initially was BLOCK DIAGRAMS. thanks for the reference to the 12v primer- just what I need. Boywonder referred me to Bluesea earlier too- can't wait to dig in.
You gentlemen are the best!
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 3,699
Annie: You don't need to know a thing about CAN-BUS to wire your van for camping.....

Here are the blue seas fuse blocks most of us are using...they use standard ST blade type automotive fuses....these two have ground busses as well......these blocks are also available without ground busses too. I ran both + and - to all of my 12V stuff in the back of the van, so the ground buss comes in handy for that.....you run a fat + and - wire to the fuse blocks and then separate smaller +and - wires to each appliance, etc.

6 circuit:





12 circuit:










I got these images from the Blue Seas website; my wiring is not nearly that neat.


Blue sea ACR battery separators are also a good choice for that function....

Consider starting a thread about your wiring...make a list of what you want and a crude diagram of where you want to put everything....

You'll get plenty of advise, and things will probably morph along the way.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Annie O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: OH
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I got these images from the Blue Seas website; my wiring is not nearly that neat.


Blue sea ACR battery separators are also a good choice for that function....

Consider starting a thread about your wiring...make a list of what you want and a crude diagram of where you want to put everything....

You'll get plenty of advise, and things will probably morph along the way.
Cool beans BW- YES I am a visual learner!!
Been too busy with guests and special even over holiday to daydream in my van or on the forum. I shall start a ground up thread soon.
__________________

Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×