Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
CLAIMED: Another Freebie!

So one more from the vault of great but shamefully underused or appreciated tools!

This time up its an Extech 421502 dual input electronic thermometer reading both J & K thermocouples. Here's its home link: 421502: Type J/K, Dual Input Thermometer with Alarm | Extech Instruments The thermocouples are NOT included so be advised.

This works perfectly but it just sits around while another similar device replaces it. This has two inputs, the one used more often has four so I'm covered for these types devices.

Do read the user manual for this as its capabilities are pretty amazing. Features including ways to compare the two inputs are all part of this tool.

Anyway no cost, I'll ship it most any place in the lower 48, other locations would be charged enough to cover any increases.

PLEASE have a bonafide use as I'd hate to pass it along and it just sit around in another house, tool box etc etc. Consideration will go to the first PM I receive rather than a "claim" staked in this thread. Also while its not necessary I'd be interested in how you'll utilize this---I used it while tinkering with creating a "cold air vent" system that never was built. I got the design down, built a working mock up but didn't see any significant lowering of the air from the dash vents---bummer.

Anyway have at it guys and gals!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Very generous of you, and while somewhat tempted, I can't say I'd justify getting enough use out of it. Hopefully someone else who can get a lot of use of it will be along in just a minute.....

Herb
Old 09-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
JWA

I get that Herb---kinda how I end up with some many orphan tools!

Glad to pass this along, hate to see it wasting away and not being useful.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

Agreed, super cool and very generous offer!
I would think boywonder would be a good new caretaker.

I am thinking w Thanksgiving coming up I could use it to check two parts of the turkey. Also seems overkill to check my batteries (outside) vs inside, or the alarm to tell me my holding tank is about to freeze!

Thank you again JWA - you are extremely thoughtful !
Old 09-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Agreed, super cool and very generous offer!
I would think boywonder would be a good new caretaker.

I already have the older model of this unit.......and a bag of assorted K-type thermocouples....but thanks for thinking of me!
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
JWA

Okay so pending receipt of a mailing address this piece will be passed on to another member---he has a need to monitor a few temps simultaneously.

I never anticipated any culinary uses, got a bit of a chuckle out of that possibility.

Thanks all for the interest and possibilities of what other uses some things can be put to----I'm too much an inside-the-box-thinker some days!
Old 09-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

Very nice offer. I have an inexpensive Harbor freight multi meter that includes a single thermocouple input. I've only used it a few times though, the last time I wanted to know what the exhaust and discharge temps were on my Chinese diesel heater install. Placing the thermocouple inside the exhaust pipe gave a reading quite a bit higher than my hand held infrared gauge. I also used it to monitor the temp inside my refer, and once to check the EGT on my 7.3 to compare it to the aftermarket gauge. All in all, a useful tool.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:21 AM   #8
JWA

This device is well on its way to the new owner or should I say custodian? It did serve me well and with that in mind I acquired a 4 input imported version that works equally well. Not nearly as sophisticated or programmable but fulfills every need I anticipate in the future.

The recipient has suggested making a donation to this forum as a compensation to me for this gift which I thought was a splendid idea. So this will turn into something a bit helpful to us all I'm thinking.

Thanks all for taking part in this--always glad to pass something useful along to others here.

J W
Old 09-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #9

Thanks J W !!

The package arrived today - perfectly safe and sound. It’ll definitely get proper usage as I dial in a new cooling system (retrofitting a Mercedes Sprinter radiator cooling fan system into a 1973 GMC Motorhome).

But…

In the old days - I kinda recall that we had a “contribute” button on the board. I can’t find anything of that sort with some simple surfing and searching.

If someone chimes in with the method to make a contribution - I’ll happily do so. If not - I’ll send something (yet TBD) your way.

Thanks again,
Steve W
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:50 AM   #10
JWA

Hey Steve---glad it showed up, thanks for alerting me. I'd be glad to know how it works for your refit in fact your entire project it would probably interest others here as well.

If you're able to support this forum that's more than enough for me---I implore you to not feel obligated to send me anything. As I've said its enough knowing it went to a good new home!

J W