Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #1

Complexity of Replacing Wiring Harness on a 6.0 E350

Help. Has anyone replaced the main wire harness on a 6.0 diesel E350? I have electrical issues on my 2005 E350 4x4 RB50 and have tried repairing the harness but continue to throw error codes. Wire wiggle test keeps confirming it is something in the FICM wires in the main engine cable (I replaced FICM anyway to make sure and the wires are still causing the problems). I’ve found the harness part discussion on the forum which is very helpful but can’t find any details on actually changing the harness. Has anyone changed the main harness out? I know I’ll have to remove the turbo (have done this before) but what else will I need to remove? How big a job is it? Does the body need to be lifted from the frame? What parts need to come off the front side of the engine? Any specifics on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

FunHogUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #2

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ase-30489.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...sel-30488.html
Old 07-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #3

When I inquired w/ mechanic previously, I was told that the body does not need to be removed, but it sounded like a 10-12 hour job based on the quote I was given.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:21 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply’s. I did see those posts about the wiring harness and they were helpful for finding the part which is still available to buy. I’m really hoping that someone who did the replacement of the harness job themselves will chime in with a good summary of what it takes to accomplish the job. Knowing that the body doesn’t have to get lifted is a huge relief. I haven’t even been able to find a mechanic yet in Salt Lake City who can say they did a harness replacement on a 6.0 van. If anyone knows a SLC mechanic with great experience on 6.0 diesel vans, please pass that along too. Thanks!!
Old 07-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #5

Garage
FunHogUtah - use the link below for places members have already recommended, one may turn out to be just what you are looking for:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...8106744375&z=5
Old 07-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #6

Thank you for the information. I’m still researching the complexity of doing this harness replacement myself or using a shop to do it. Ordered the part. If anyone happens on this thread and has done the replacement job, please send some details on what has to be removed to replace the harness. Much appreciated. At the end of getting this fixed, I’ll post my details of what I ended up doing.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #7

FunHogUtah, you might consider seeing if you can find a good picture of your harness. Count how many pluggins are on it that you would have to connect. Then open your hood, pull the motor cover and see how many connectors you can identify. If you can locate 70% of them that would give you a pretty good idea of the task at hand. I have never replaced a main harness in a ford van but I have in several cars and it really isn't that hard. In a van there are more nooks and crannies but it should very doable.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:58 PM   #8

I've replaced the 6.0 motor, and I draped the engine up on the stand.

For your sanity. I would remove at least the turbo, intake pipes, down pipe, brake reservoir, and possibly the alternator and oil fill tube.

Do you have the shop manual? I think it would be instrumental in understanding this.

I also have my old harness in my shed, I'm keeping the connectors for the future. If you want, we can ship it up to you, and you can look over it. PM me if you want to go that route.

The sensors that go to the front of the engine are going to be the hardest. The nastiest wire is the one that routes behind the AC compressor. I would inspect that one from your back before pulling anything.

I think it is doable. You will be working mostly from the back of the motor.

Luckily the glow plug harness is separate. I would not touch those.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:52 PM   #9

Thanks Desertsherpa. Good to have first hand experience. I ordered the harness so will get to see all the connectors before I start. It all sounds doable but I've not had to service the front of the engine before. I've already taken the Turbo off and then back on as part of trying to repair my current harness. It was a pain but I know how to do it now. The brake reservoir looks pretty easy to get at. The Alternator looks harder as it's farther in. Will I have to remove the AC compressor to get at that one wire that goes behind it? Will I have to take off any of the cooling radiators? Working on the front is intimidating as it is such a small space with so much jammed in there. Thanks for your advice on this.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #10

You don't want to fully remove the AC compressor. It's a bitch to get off anyways ( you need a ratcheting box end ), and it's probably charged. However, there is a wire in that area that I don't know how to route it properly. I don't think the radiator stack needs to come off. I would drain the coolant so you can remove the degas bottle. Really helps on that side.

Do you own a set of picks? Also look at each connector you are taking off, broken connectors could send you back a week ( or longer for an injector). I also used dielectric grease on the plastic ( not the pins) of all my connections. That way the slide off easier on the future.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ficm error codes, injector errors, wire harness, wire loom