Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

Computer Mount's

Good Morning all , while researching pre loomed LED Rock Lights this morning I came across a website that had a very interesting Computer mounting stand that apparently would address many of the questions and needs a number of you have expressed in previous post's . The site was www.get-rhino.com
Food for thought .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

Page isn't working for some reason.. maybe it's down.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Perhaps this should have been the link... http://www.get-rhino.com/parts/laptopmount.php?

-- Geoff
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #4

Lap Top

Adventureduo ,
Geoff has posted the correct address and page showing the product that I thought might interest you Guy's and Girl's . I apparently did not take as much time as I should have in copying this address . thank you Geoff you are an astute and kind Lad .
Greggde
Old 08-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #5

New link works good. Looks like some healthy competition to the Ram-mount. I like it. I've used a few of those ram type mounts in the past with much success.

http://www.ram-mount.com/
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #6

Computer Mount's

Adventureduo ,
Are you winking/blinking at any one in particular ? My Grandson's and I got a big kick out of your Blinking Headlight's .
Greggde
Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Team

I use a Ram mount for my Ham radio in my Bronco. Pricey, but very well made, solid mount.

Herb
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I need to do a follow up post on my earlier discusions on this topic....

We ended up going with Ram Mount and we are very happy with it. It was a no-drill installation, mounting to the normal seat bolt loactions, and that works very well with the plinth that SMB uses.

We also added the quick-disconnect so that we can take everything but the base off/out. The only thing left would be the flat base and the short nub that the quick disconnect locks onto.

The actual laptop holder is the universal set up so that we can use different laptops at different times

THis has worked well with our cellular antenna comin up from under the passenger seat as well as with the USB GPS antenna mounted on the dash under the dash mat.

We are still looking for a nice clean 12v aux power outlet to add on the passenger side of the dog-house.

We also made sure we got a tall enough tube that we can adjust the height lower by removing material as we determine what the right height should be. (this is still underway; we expect to take off one inch before the next big trip)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #9

I used a small RAM mount and attached it to a docking station for my Fujitsu tablet computer. I leave the power cord, USB GPS, audio line out, and USB cellular modem connected to the docking station and I can easily disconnect to stow or work outside the van. I did lose the beverage capability of the center cup holder and the smaller mini-cup to the left but I just keep change and oddities in those now.

I can easily swing the mount to the passenger seat if my wife wants to surf the internet or watch our satellite feed through the Slingbox connection.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #10

I've had a RAM Mount for my laptop for almost 3 years and love it!

Pics:

Without the computer.

As a side note, the big black patch on the dash is the fabric part of Velcro. I covered the entire dash access cover with it so I can stick accessories up there without them sliding around. On top of that is my X-Monitor.

I turned the mount to show the underside -- I've been meaning to paint those mounting bolts black since the install...

I did have to drill 4 holes in the doghouse and the 4" mount covers the entire ash tray area. I intentionally got the large mount to distribute the load without causing undue stress to any one point. It doesn't block the cup holders or the other slot, though.

The arm is about 6" long and uses the larger ball, 1.5" or 2". It can be swiveled for use by either the driver or the passenger and doesn't block the the drivers' view when positioned properly.

With the computer mounted.

Computer lid closed.

Computer lid open.

After over 50k miles of use, the mount has had zero problems.

The RAM Mount comes with 4 clamps to hold your computer in place but when I installed the rear 2, it wouldn't let me close the computer lid. As you can see in the pictures, I only use the front 2 clamps and it hold the computer fine. I added a black bungee cord towards the rear of the mount as insurance (the computer slips underneath it) but it really isn't necessary.

I recently noticed the RAM now has new arms for this mount that are straight, rather than the curved ones I have. I'm thinking about adding those arms, as well as a screen stabilizer. The laptop screen has gotten a little loose after 3 years of automotive use, although it still stays open and/or closed by itself.

I use MS Streets and Trips with USB GPS for mobile mapping (installed on the hard drive), MAPTECH and/or TOPO! maps when necessary (on CD's) plus I connect the audio out to my stereo for listening to MP3's on the road.

Last year, I purchased a wireless air card so I now also have broadband internet access anyplace I can get Sprint cell phone coverage.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote