Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2024, 06:15 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: TN
Posts: 36
Converting Penthouse Lights to Aux Battery

Good morning my all knowing friends, I'm back with another silly question. Where does SMB tie the 12v wiring in for the penthouse lights? Just need to figure out where it runs and terminates so I can convert them to the house battery instead of the main battery. I'm in the process of converting the housings to LED strips, but while I'm at it I might as well make sure they can't run the starting batteries dead.

Not sure if it matters, but it's a 2006 e350 pop top only.

Thanks!

shocku992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,484
Garage
Post #4 may help:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post268580
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:21 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: TN
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Hmmm, maybe? I'm trying to compare this to my setup since I don't have the SMB interior.
shocku992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 10,375
If you don't have an SMB interior and your van is pre-can bus (What year is your van?) then I can just about guarantee they tapped off the original dome light wiring.

Pop the buttons off the trim around the pop top and start removing screws to remove the trim pieces on the sides and front and rear. First. you'll have to remove the front and rear latch plates in the center of the fore and aft panels that run crossways, one above B pillar, one above rear door. Then it's just 4 simple upholstered trim panels finishing out the pop top hole. You may have to peel some carpet/upholstery back and re-glue it after. Can't remember. This will expose a lot of stuff to you, the springs and mechanism which are something you might want to see but also the wiring on the left side.

From your lights in the pop-top a pigtail comes down in one corner of the top, can't remember where SMB drops it, probably in the rear left. It either goes across to your original dome light or joins the main body wiring loom about midships where the center dome light used to come to the middle of the factory headliner. If neither of these places it will be in the B pillar behind the trim somewhere between the pillar and the front seat center dome light

It's probably a simple splice in there with cheap speaker wire and an inline fuse. There's nothing impressive about the way old SMB's were put together.

Once again, year model could help us tell you more.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:43 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: TN
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
If you don't have an SMB interior and your van is pre-can bus (What year is your van?) then I can just about guarantee they tapped off the original dome light wiring.

Pop the buttons off the trim around the pop top and start removing screws to remove the trim pieces on the sides and front and rear. First. you'll have to remove the front and rear latch plates in the center of the fore and aft panels that run crossways, one above B pillar, one above rear door. Then it's just 4 simple upholstered trim panels finishing out the pop top hole. You may have to peel some carpet/upholstery back and re-glue it after. Can't remember. This will expose a lot of stuff to you, the springs and mechanism which are something you might want to see but also the wiring on the left side.

From your lights in the pop-top a pigtail comes down in one corner of the top, can't remember where SMB drops it, probably in the rear left. It either goes across to your original dome light or joins the main body wiring loom about midships where the center dome light used to come to the middle of the factory headliner. If neither of these places it will be in the B pillar behind the trim somewhere between the pillar and the front seat center dome light

It's probably a simple splice in there with cheap speaker wire and an inline fuse. There's nothing impressive about the way old SMB's were put together.

Once again, year model could help us tell you more.

Ah! That would make a lot of sense. It's a 2006, I believe the install was done in 2011?

I'll take a peak this evening, but connecting into the dome light would make a lot of sense. It's just all black speaker wire and crimps tying into the enclosure. I'm going to keep the switch, but remove everything else and replace them with LED strips and a controller with multiple zones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	51315
shocku992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 10,375
A few of us have done that. I have done that upgrade but it's been years since I had an SMB top or those type fixtures. There are some threads on here but it's pretty straightforward.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 08:15 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: TN
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
A few of us have done that. I have done that upgrade but it's been years since I had an SMB top or those type fixtures. There are some threads on here but it's pretty straightforward.
Ya, 12v wiring is easy, and I have a lot of experience with LEDs. I've got them all over the house tied into a lot of my home automations. I use a bunch of small circuit boards called ESP32s and an open source software called WLED. You can do all kinds of fun stuff with them. I briefly considered adding Home Assistant to the van for a dashboard and automations, but decided it wasn't worth the constant power draw. It's hard though, because home automation is addicting.
shocku992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 10,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocku992 View Post
Ya, 12v wiring is easy, and I have a lot of experience with LEDs. I've got them all over the house tied into a lot of my home automations. I use a bunch of small circuit boards called ESP32s and an open source software called WLED. You can do all kinds of fun stuff with them. I briefly considered adding Home Assistant to the van for a dashboard and automations, but decided it wasn't worth the constant power draw. It's hard though, because home automation is addicting.
You will have a blast checking out Scalf77's van and projects, if you haven't already.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: TN
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
You will have a blast checking out Scalf77's van and projects, if you haven't already.
Oh? I haven't, but I'll go check them out now!
shocku992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.