Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #1

Danhard 12V

I recently purchased an 06 SMB 4x4 RB50 and have discovered it has a Danhard 12V system in it. None of the literature that came in the owners manual from SMB describes this feature. I did however get the original build sheet and on it is says (1) furnace and (1) 12 V A/C. Could this be a split unit doing both functions?

The only controls I have for it is a small three speed fan knob near the driver. It seems to work when the van is on as well as when hooked to shore power and key in accessory mode. There seems to be two rubber hoses going to the unit which is located under the bench seat and can be accessed there and under the shelf in the storage closet. One rubber hose says AC on it. The other hose is wrapped tight in insulation so not sure if it is a return line for the AC.

Any insight into how the Danhard works and when it is supposed to work as well as the functions it can do (heat and cool or just cool). Should it work with the key out? Also on my fuse panel there is a space for a furnace fuse and there is no fuse there or wires running to that location so it is blank which leads me to believe it is just an AC unit?

Any help would be appreciated as it is the only thing not described in detail in the owners manual.

Thanks in advance.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Re: Danhard 12V

This sounds more like a star cool than the newer Danhard system. I have the Danhard and it is thermostat controlled and separate from furnace. The ones we refer to as Danhard started getting installed in 2008 I believe. (however, to confuse things, I think the star cools were also partially mad by Danhard. One of the many people on here with the star cool systems should be able to answer your questions.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

The only label I can find on it says danhard 12V on the side. No other markings. I think it might be early for the danhard system you have and what others have described when I search for the term. Also I followed the 2 rubber hoses and they go up to the engine compartment. No condenser or compressor under the van as others have described with the newer version.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #4

Here is a manual for the Starcool III system. Although it does not sound like it is a Starcool either. There is a compressor that run off of AC for the starcool. You should have an AC breaker for it. It does not sound like you have one.

-greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sportsmobile Starcool III.pdf (3.32 MB, 27 views)
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Give Danhard a call. They are the manufactures of Starcool and the 3 speed switch is typical of SC but Danhard made several models for ambulances and what not. Please post back on what you find.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #6

I wrote sportsmobile an email sending them my original build sheet as well and they got back to me about my system. It sounds like it is just an extension of the stock Van a/c and no heating at all. Here is what they said,

Hello Zach,
The 12 volt rear a/c works just like a rear air in an SUV or large passenger vehicles. It only works with the van running just like the front dash air. It is not controlled by Thermostat, the thermostat is for the furnace only. I hope this helps.
Thank You,

Peter Del Toro
Sportsmobile
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Feel lucky that you have that system. My Starcool shore power air actually sucks and only drops the outside air about 10 degrees, so if it's 100 out, it is still around the upper 80's to about 90. IMO it just takes up space. On the road it's a different story, as the 12v system works great but that has nothing to do with the 110vAC air system.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote