Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Danhard A/C - PH top - worth it?

Hi all - I'm going to spedc a RB with PH top - anyone have opinion on whether or not the Danhard AC is really worth the cost?
This is the interior mounted AC - I guess it mounts in roof where cab is?
Also, when on is it quiet - or little noisy or LOT noisy?
thx in advance

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Re: Danhard A/C - PH top - worth it?

There are many options I got that I fully realize I could do without. That ain't one of 'em. The Danhard A/C is great. You would need electric hook up at campground or a generator to run it though when camping. It does not go on the roof. It is a 2 part system like in a home. Part is inside van in a cabinet, the other part is under the van, out of site. It is not superquiet. The noise inside the van is fine. Like white noise. But outside it might bug your next closest camper a bit.

If you will camp in any areas with humidity, I'd recommend it. If you have dogs I also think it's responsible to get it. If you were mainly in drier areas out towards the west coast, maybe you could do without. But I'll let left coasters speak to that.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

There is no way I would be w/o some additional air living in the area I do. We typically see 100 to 115 temps between July and September. I don't have the new Danhard but the Starcool III which is made by Danhard. My Starcool works great while driving down the road but on shore power it is basically worthless in hot weather. I had hoped my system would keep the van cool in preparation of leaving on a trip. I installed a 50 amp panel at my home to accommodate this but found the AC only sheds about 10 degrees off the outside temps when it's 100 degrees. On the other hand I hear that the new Danhard kicks out some big cold air while running on shore power. I wish I had that. But I don't know the stats on the new Danhard. As long as the AC can run without depleting the house battery while driving and you feel that being cool is a necessity I would go for it. If you don't install it and there is a way to make some sort of prep install, such as a pre wire plus keeping the space open for a latter install, it could be an option for down the road if you change your mind.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Danhard : Love it. Would not do without it.

PH Top : Love it. Would not do without it.

Next?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Man - these are all good inputs - I just don't know if I'll use it enough to justify the cost. One thing I know is you guys love it enough to respond. I do camp mostly in the West, but I plan some cross-country trips once I have the SMB (DUH).
thx for input
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I had to break out the Danhard yesterday and its switch has been in the ON positiion for 24 hours now due to the humidity here in Omaha.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #7

It all comes down to what creature comforts you (and the people you want to camp with you) need to make a trip enjoyable. Tent campers probably wouldn't miss not having it. Anyone whoever liked a VW campervan wouldn't miss it. But,I grew up in the deep south and to me, A/C just isn't a negotiable It helps you sleep, it helps the mood of your co-pilot, it helps my dogs, it gets rid of the humidity on a rainy trip, and it extends the camping season into the dead of summer. (I used to only camp spring and fall.)
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #8

The mood of my co-pilot would be greatly improved by such a system, however I've managed to only take her to places much colder than we're expecting and thereby win brownie points solely with the heater...
Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #9

Actually, hearing from Jage reminds me of another key tip I learned when researching my van. Don't get a dark color if you want to be cool.

I would have likely gotten green van or maybe red. But saw the posts, like yours Jage, about how hot the dark colored vans can get. This would be even more critical if you are not getting the a/c.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewTV
Actually, hearing from Jage reminds me of another key tip I learned when researching my van. Don't get a dark color if you want to be cool.

I would have likely gotten green van or maybe red. But saw the posts, like yours Jage, about how hot the dark colored vans can get. This would be even more critical if you are not getting the a/c.
Agree completely. Bought used, so not much choice there. I believe the combination of my red paint, and all the glass I have, makes for an uncomfortable situation in very warm temps. I have the factory Ford AC dashboard AC system, along with the 12V SMBw installed AC system. Most of the time it's OK, but in some New Mexico and Arizona heat last year, the AC systems couldn't even come close to keeping the van at a comfortable temperature.

Herb