Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #1

Dead Again (House Battery Mix)

This is more for the record than anything, but I grabbed some gloves out of the back of the van and got a bleep from the CO sensor that usually means low battery.

I stuck my head in the side door and the BlueSky read 6v, which for my panel (always seems to read a volt low) is 7v.

The van has been parked since our last trip almost exactly a month ago, returned to the garage with full batteries and only the propapane and CO sensor on. I suppose it is reasonable that the sensors draw 1/2 amp together which would account for a month on 424 amp hours I have, but still it just always feels like I have way less power than I think I should.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

I try to drive mine at least once a week.

And that doesn't alway help. I had bad connection at the battery separator and no charge was going to the house batteries (before solar power was added). By the time I noticed it, the house batteries were toast.

The physical connections at the separator were good, but a minor corrosion issue caused no electrical connection. Took the cables off, cleaned everything and put it back together with a liberal coat of grease.

Jeremiah, I know that doesn't help you at all. Just letting you know we all suffer at various times.

Hopefully you can slow charge your house batteries and recover them.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We keep ours plugged in when it is at home in the driveway,.... but we end up driving it about once a week during football season.

Is there any problem with keeping it plugged in?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

house battery

I sure hope there's no problem with keeping it plugged in as my SMB is plugged in all the time when at home. the blue sky controller usually shows a a little over 13 volts, but I just checked it and it was 14.4Volts. could it be a problem when it's that high?? I unplugged it. I can't use the solar panel as it's under a carport.

philrod

'07 Silver E350 V10 Rb50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

There shouldn't be a problem as they float charge once all the batteries are topped off. Still, it's wear and tear on the Xantrex, plus having the plug out is annoying. I should drive it more, but access to the garage is limited by the F250. Ah life is hard.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Having 2 batteries can cause a problem if one is bad or not up to par. If one is down the battery charger will see the bad batttery and try to charge it up while over-charging the good battery. AGM batteries don't seem to be affected by over charging as wet cells but I wouldn't want to test it out on mine. All it could take is one bad connection and the same thing can happen, so if I shore charge I do it the night before and don't leave it switched to charge all the time while sitting home plugged in. Also if one battery is down or can't be recharged to the same % as the other, when both are idle the bad battery will pull the good one down reducing the overall bank AH supply down to a point. This happened to me when I replaced a bad single battery...It ended up lowering the life of the new battery. I finally replaced both and had no trouble for several years.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote