Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Dedicated inverter outlet

Hi there!
Not sure if anyone has asked about this- I am having trouble finding much information online. Our camper is set up in a long term site- without power. We have a generator that we use from time to time and good solar panels- but it has always irritated me that we need to be hooked to power to use our outdoor fridge. Looking to possibly install a small inverter, just to one or two outlets- to run the outdoor fridge and possibly charge phones. Has anyone here done this? Any tips? Is this even possible? Thanks!

Mrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #2

Garage
How much power does the frig need? It might require a big expensive inverter with dedicated 12v wiring. Not to mention sucking your batteries dry.

We use car chargers for our phones.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
How much power does the frig need? It might require a big expensive inverter with dedicated 12v wiring. Not to mention sucking your batteries dry.

We use car chargers for our phones.

That’s what I was a little bit afraid of 😬😬
Mrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

As stated, find the power demands first. That will define how much work and money it will take to power your refer. Phones take about 5volts and about 2amps to charge. nothing much at all
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #5

I question the term "outdoor fridge" , why would a outdoor fridge run on 115 AC volts only? Never the less, it could be done, but you would need the specific specifications of your fridge, and then you could make some calculations on the inverter needed.

There can also be some possible modifications, to make the inverter only come on when the fridge thermostat calls for it, but this would render it usable for the fridge only.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #6

Garage
What’s an outdoor fridge? My Dometic portable fridge uses less than 2 amps an hour on DC and runs off a small, portable 40ah lithium battery. What kind of fridge have you got?