Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Digital maps

You folks have probably mentioned CalTopo before and I just missed it but it is very nice. Just per used it on my iPad and found it reasonably useable on that platform. In my neighborhood, map updates are iffy so you have to see what is available. I like the USFS maps, too. I wish they had land ownership on them like the USGS versions. (Interestingly, the hard copy consumer maps are more current than the CalTopo versions and they have land ownership.)

I use http://on.doi.gov/sQKti for map downloads. The interface can timeout and it has other quirks but it has beau coup maps.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #12

Re: Digital maps

Just wish more of them were georeferenced. There are some web sites where you can do it, but it's a pain.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Garage

Do you guys already heard from CompeGPS Land? Since I have an outdoor TwoNav Sportiva GPS device, Land allow to georeference maps from satelite imagery, Google Maps, Openstreet Maquest/Mapnik, etc. and to export it from PC to GPS device in raster format. It's very efficient and you can access to maps of really every point of the planet! Preparing my last trip, I prepared all maps needed at home, then transfer it on the Sportiva. And it worked really fine during all the trip.

If some of you are interested, I can do a small demonstration/tutorial on how to do it. I can also prepare and send a test map to those of you who want to make test.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #14

I've got some software to do that but when given a choice, I much prefer to get something already georeferenced, and preferably in pdf format, since it scales better and is pretty compact. I figure if I wait long enough they'll all be georeferenced and I won't have to bother

But thanks for the link to the program; the Mac version isn't all there, so it won't be much better than I've already got. The online tools work pretty well, but pretty unstable. Considering most of these start as digital maps I dunno why they end up NOT being georeferenced. Sigh.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Rob, I guess I'm talking real time tracking like a Garmin does. In the image I posted, the red dot was my van at that location when I took the picture. When I move, the icon can be one of several to choose from...I usually use the figure of an airplane but it can be an arrow, a car, or truck...etc. The trail is marked red because that was the color I chose several years back when I originally drove & marked the trail. I can also outline the trail or change its appearance to several forms such as slashes or a dotted line and the like. The software is way outdated so I'm on the lookout for a more modern program. I really like having FS road numbers and some of the maps have them but for the most part I rarely use them because I have the tracking capability. But it still would be nice and is why I carry FS maps. To tell the truth, I generally use FS maps before I get to the hills and pre mark my USGS computer maps at home. I prefer real time tracking over waypoints because if I choose to mark a waypoint say at every 10 seconds, if I drive fast it will space them out further than if I drive slow and if I stop it would place 6 dots (on top of each other) in one spot if I sit there for a minute. In the real time mode it will also bunch up a bit if I stop and on some of my maps I can see where I had lunch but it's hard to tell. I like what I have seen others have done when showing a long route like on Google maps but stuff like Google Earth doesn't help me much.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #16

It does real time tracking; it saves a track that shows on a map and you can backtrack on it for example. Or you can watch the cursor move on the map. AFAIK most every mapping app does that. A track is nothing but an automatic collection of waypoints; how many you get depends on your receiver and it's software, some allow adjusting for finer detail, some have higher refresh rates, etc. Good software will essential cancel out the ones on top of each other.

I tend to just use waypoints, though, since I usually know where I am and it's only certain points where I need the assistance of the GPS, and I'm watching the road And it saves batteries too, which is important if you're not in your vehicle. Photos help too.

But it may also be that I'm used to more old school navigation, where you navigated to points rather than trying to follow a track. I got used to it sailing, where the surface you're on is moving; not like you're trying to follow a road or trail. And obviously bearings are more important since there often aren't features to point at.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #17

I have had good luck so far with BenchMarks IPad maps. Used it for the last three off road trips and GPS connection worked great the whole time.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote