Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Re: DIY anti-thief device

Love that trunk monkey.

I always figured that living on an island, I wouldn't need to worry too much about my car being stolen. Who would be stupid enough to steal a car on an island where there is nowhere to go. Now that I have my van though, I'm a bit more worried about it especially with all of the goodies I'll have on it. I'll be following this thread to see what solutions you guys come up with.

Thanks.

2004 QuadVan E350 V8 Chateau
bighodad808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #12

Only 16 possible combinations and no death ray if you get it wrong? Not nearly complex enough....

This is what you need: http://www.canyoucrackit.co.uk/ The code could activate the ignition.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Site Team

I'm at the switch installing phase so revisiting this topic. Still thinking of the multiple switch concept but I've updated it a little. Been reading some more and discovered "latching relays". Didn't know about these before. It's different than a regular relay in that once it's been energized and the contacts closed (or opened) they will stay closed (or opened) even after the energizing power is cut. You then have to re-energize the relay to change the state of the contacts. If it's a dual coil relay you energize a different coil to break the contact. If it's a single coil relay you reverse the polarity of the energizing power to break the contact. I read about another type that uses a cam arrangement but not considering those.

Back to the original idea of four DPDT on-off-on switches. 3x3x3x3=81 possible combinations. Three of the four switches are wired to complete different "kill" components such as inertia switch, brake pedal switch, rear brake light, starter solenoid, PCM relay power, etc... There's a lot to choose from. So three of the switches have to be in whatever is the "on" position for that "kill" component to work. The fourth switch most stay in the "off" position.

This is pretty much where I was before when writing about shorting out a fuse if one of the switches is in the wrong position. The problem with this idea is the thief gets more than one chance at setting the switches. In my case there is a bigger problem in that I can be both klutzy and forgetful. Yeah I know, go figure. Anyway there is always the possibility (probability) I will accidentally set one of the switches wrong and end up replacing fuses. Also what happens if I reach down while driving and hit the switch. Do I accidentally kill the engine at a really bad time (middle of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge)?

This is where the latching relays come into play. Each of the kill components has a latching relay in series with it. The relay is NC (Normally Closed). If any of the switches are set into the wrong position the latching relay will open and stay open. To prevent accidental triggering while driving the power to the "opening coil" on the relay comes from the starting circuit. So accidentally hitting the switch while driving will have no effect.

By using dual coil latching relays the power for the "closing coil" can be separated from the "opening coil". Since the closing coil isn't powered from the starting system even if the thief sets the switch back to off or into the correct position it doesn't matter. The latching relay has been set to open and can't be set back from the starter so he gets exactly one chance to get it right.

So let's say you've accidentally set one of the switches in the wrong position and tried to start the van. Now one of the latching relays are set in the open position. What do you do? You go to wherever in the van you've hidden the reset button for all the latching relays. When you press this button it will energize the "closing coil" on all the latching relays. This will reset all open relays to closed. If the relay is already closed it doesn't do any harm. This reset button should best be located nowhere near the drivers seat. If we were talking about a car I'd suggest hiding it in the trunk but with a van there are endless places it can be.

OK that's my latest idea. It still needs some refinement but hopefully it makes sense. I haven't tried it out yet, and even if I did wouldn't tell ya'.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Site Team

Regarding the military style switch covers, keep in mind that most toggle switches will cause the cover to not sit flush when they are in the Up position. The cover will be in a raised position, which helps indicate that the switch is on.

If you find a very short toggle, you might be able to get the switch cover to sit back down with a switch in the Up position.

Herb
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Only 16 possible combinations and no death ray if you get it wrong? Not nearly complex enough....
I was thinking of a CO2 extinguisher with a motorized handle under the front seat. First time you try to start the van and fail there's an alarm. Try a second time and fail the extinguisher goes off and convinces you to leave the van. The extinguisher safety pin stays in place while driving.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #16

hal wont simply drive to the nearest police department all the while saying to the criminal "im sorry but i cannot comply with that command"...?