Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
I am interested in a steering wheel lock...whats the value to using a steering lock?
Which is the best if I decide to buy one.
I have a 2003 E350 SMB 4X4 7.3
By steering wheel lock what do you mean---something like The Club, one of those devices that hinder the steering wheel from turning if the column lock is defeated or fails?

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #22

Garage
Been told by several Police Officers the Steering wheel locks can be circumvented quite quickly (just cut the wheel), they suggested the "Brake Lock" simply because its considerably more difficult to get down at that level to deal with them.
Let me add, they also included that because these Brake Locks are not easily visible, initially there is no real "visible" theft deterrent.
Nice part about the Brake Locks is they take up a lot less space...maybe a combination of the two ???
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Hole-Stai...sAAOSwal5YJD7R
Old 01-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #23

JWA: yes like the club
Twoxentrix: that device is not applicable to my 2003 E350 SMB
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #24

Being this is electrical:
I'm curious about changing the bulbs in my headlights to brighter/more illumination on the road ahead.
Any recommendation on type of bulbs that will do the job. I don't want to blind on coming traffic.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #25

Spending money on bulbs is just pissing money away. Plus you end up with idiotic blue colored lights.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Twoxentrix: that device is not applicable to my 2003 E350 SMB
Yes, I too had that notice appear when I plugged in the Make & Model, but I took tape measure to the pedal & floor, and there should be no reason that it doesn't apply.
Given the fact its relatively small & compact, would also add another devise to "defeat" for those with sinister intentions, I decided to ordered one just to see if its applicable.
I'll post a follow up once I receive it.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:25 AM   #27
JWA

Quote:
Being this is electrical:
Yes this in somewhat electrical however its not about lighting---please post a separate thread or search for what's been done headlight-wise. (Typically I don't care how a thread evolves but this is a bit more of a jump that doesn't further the discussion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Been told by several Police Officers the Steering wheel locks can be circumvented quite quickly (just cut the wheel), they suggested the "Brake Lock" simply because its considerably more difficult to get down at that level to deal with them.
Let me add, they also included that because these Brake Locks are not easily visible, initially there is no real "visible" theft deterrent.
Nice part about the Brake Locks is they take up a lot less space...maybe a combination of the two ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I'll post a follow up once I receive it.
I like those brake pedal locks----would be tough indeed to defeat them. I'll look forward to your review Twoentrix!

About the Ravelco as I ponder its installation I'd be glad to see a version that'd include a third "channel" which could be used to defeat the shift lever lock-out solenoid when the cap is removed. I don't know if they offer more "channels" in different versions so its a wish list item than any real need.

With a Ravelco installed its not likely to be defeated but one more device disabled would be good.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Thanks, JWA. Kind offer.

Gooseberry, without giving up your secret... are you talking about a mechanical switch for the AutoLock in case the battery dies?

I used a keyed switch to break the starter relay and I also have a club that locks the brake pedal to the steering wheel. If you put a switch in series of the rear brake light on a diesel van it will not start FYI.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I like those brake pedal locks----would be tough indeed to defeat them. I'll look forward to your review Twoentrix!
Received the Brake Pedal lock today, immediately went to try it out. IT WORKS WITH NO ISSUES. its hefty, and because of its location would prove a real challenge to get off.

Have to say though; I was excited for about 10 seconds as I was admiring this nice piece of hardware ... then I realized it may prove counter productive. Follow me on this one - Soooo, Thieves get the Van started, in their haste to get the hell-out-of-Dodge they immediately put it in gear...at what point (and at what speed) do they realize they can't brake???? Results could prove worse!
So, I removed it from the Brake and tried it on the Gas pedal - again, IT WORKS. Fits with a minimum of clearance on the last notch, but easily doable. Thats probably where I'll use it...at best they would be in gear and cruising around 20pmh in their get-away... suspect that would attract attention quickly.
For the $25 I paid, its a great deal!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #30
JWA

Thanks for the update Twoxentrix---I kinda sorta figured those pieces would be worthwhile.

Concerning the crooks inability to use the brake pedal---if the locks are properly installed could they even depress the pedal far enough to retract the shift lever interlock?

Maybe paint or powder coat them a brilliant yellow or orange to highlight their presence? That won't necessarily stop 'em from trying but they'd be aware something might hinder their escape.

Better yet they'd slow that escape down enough to be a discouragement.