Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #1

Garage
Does shore power charge the engine batteries?

I use shore power so rarely I'm not sure of this answer. '07 SMB, 2000w TripLite inverter/charger. Is is automatically charging the engine start batteries as well as the house battery?

Old 12-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #2

That would be determined by your Separator or ACR. Your year would point to a SurePower Separator, most likely the 1315-200. If it is that model it would be bidirectional and yes the Tripplite would charge the start battery also. If you have the 1314-200 it would be unidirectional and not. I have only seen a handful of 1314-200 installed by SMB. If you have a 7620 -7622 ACR, the answer would also be yes.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #3

If you don't want to open the hood plug the van in to shore power and plug one of these in to the various power points. All power points in rear of van are on shore power and the dash one (factory cigarette lighter) is always on chassis battery. Batteries not charging will generally read 12.5-12.8 or so and on charge will read 13.2 or higher.

https://www.amazon.com/Palumma-Charg...a-571877554217
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks Greg for that great reply.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks Scotty. I have the insight CTS3 which monitors everything for me including battery voltage. But I also have that little cig lighter voltage meter. I’ll plug it in tonight.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Hey Jeffery just remember when on shore power the separator usually automatically closes and the house and chassis batteries are tied together so you'll see a similar voltage at front and back plugs. Same with solar so if you want to test the starting batteries, check it without shore power and cover your solar panels.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

The SurePower 1314 separator can be wired with a switch so that the chassis battery is charged when on shore-power; see the attached diagram. Just push the push-on, push-off switch so the LED light comes on; all the batteries will be charged. After charging push the push-on, push-off switch so the LED is off.
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sure Power 1314(200A).pdf (91.8 KB, 17 views)
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
i wanted to use an old post instead of starting a new one...
opposite question then...new house batteries drain much quicker vs the old set...I realized Sporty's chassis battery was original from factory 9 years old?! Would a bad/old chassis battery drain the house batteries when not on shore power?...and maybe have masked that fact now causing the faster drain? BTW, Sporty is always plugged in/garaged when not in use..
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Would a bad/old chassis battery drain the house batteries when not on shore power?

Overall I'd think not, being you have a gas SMB (one starting battery). I'd be more incline to wonder if one of your two house batteries has a problem. I'd look over all your battery connections.

How long does it take for your separator to open up after you kill the engine at dark (no solar) with no shore power?

If you have a bad starting or house battery (or a substantial hidden load), it will open very quickly without any charge current (including solar) being applied. My separator stays closed after I shut down the engine at night (when there is no solar charge) and the batteries will stay at just below a float level for several minutes (even an hour or so) before the voltage drops enough to open the separator. If it open quickly it points to a load/drain which could be a bad battery or hidden draw.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:16 AM   #10
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
thx D, i'll try that
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote