Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #1

Garage
Talking Dorm refrigerator temp backup?

My Norcold DE441 fridge went out and I'm needing a fridge for a trip on Monday. I've found a little dorm fridge that has a .8 amp draw on a 110-120 residential outlet. Can I use it with an inverter hooked to my house battery which is a 200ah Renogy AGM? I have 2x 100 watt solar that charges the battery during the day....I am not sure the wattage of the small refrigerator. The SMB has a 1000 watt triplite "PowerVerter". Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Probably not much of an issue. It depends what other nightly loads you use. The dorm fridge at .8 amps pulls just under 100 watts but cycles on and off so it's not a constant load. You'd also have to factor the inverter operating load as well. My 2000 watt inverter pulls a couple amps at 12 volts. You might consider a 12 volt ice chest as there wouldn't be a loss due to the inverter being on. This little Igloo pulls about 60 watts without the need of an inverter operating. But a lot depends on the cycle rate and how well it's insulated.
Attached Thumbnails
12v ice chest.PNG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:30 PM   #3

As I recall the small 1.3 ft^2 draws about 50-60 watts AC and cycles depending upon the temperature.

60 Watts at 12V is 5 amps. Figure about 5 Amp-hr max (including the 20% invertor loss) so 200 Amp-hr lead acid would be no problem.

EDIT I should have written 5 Amp-Hr/Hr so as to indicate that 5 Amp-hr is the rate of discharge (loss of charge). For example for 10 hours overnight duration that would result in 50 Amp-hr at the 5 Amp-hr per hour rate.

Presumably, the 5 amp discharge can be recovered during the day by solar or DC-DC recharging.
posplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #4

The dorm fridge compressor will draw about 20% more on a modified sine wave inverter.

Also keep in mind they reject heat through the sidewalls, so make sure they have side clearance. Top/back clearance isn’t really a big deal however.