Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

double trouble.......

I just had a local mechanic add a few things to the SMB.

When I hit bumps now the stereo goes off, then back on.
(It is the Kenwood DNX 6960 with reverse camera, gps)
Also when I go into reverse up hill only, the truck dies?

Reverse works fine on flat surface, but several times now backing up hill, just dies?

Curious if any ideas on this?

I was thinking that is strange two seperate things are now happening that are not "connected" somehow.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: double trouble.......

Find a new mechanic!

Flippant answer, but sounds like they loosened some connections somewhere. Thought you paid them for the work, I's recommend paying someone else to fix the problems.

Herb
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

I suspect that the rear view camera of your stereo. Check where they tapped that into the reversing circuit. What work did he do? Possible loose connections to the radio. Sorry, but that is all I got from the 20,000 ft level.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #4

Can appreciate your answers.

Looking through wiring myself behind the stereo there is a nest of wires, and my thought may be a loose connection on the reverse camera connection. Question is how would this cause stereo going out on the highway? I could see it happening in reverse up hill, something hanging loose, etc.... Seemed to me that there may be a "single" cause that could produce both issues, but not sure?

2010 SMB
Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #5

the other thing I find interesting is that the vehicle only died when going up a hill in reverse.... In my mind for the stereo to go out while driving on highway, this would lead me to think a power or ground wire loose. and since it only dies in reverse "up hill" , this leads me to consider the same wire. does this make sense?

2010 SMB
Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #6

If your truck dies when it's at an angle in reverse I would suspect a hanging wire is shorting out the ignition. Since it only happens in reverse when the newly installed back up camera is operating I would think it would have to be something in the back up camera circuit.

Do you have a wiring schematic for the sterio? Check out which wires run the back up camera and follow that circuit. Try disconnecting the back up camera circuit and see if the truck still dies in reverse on a hill.

The sterio going off on bumps sounds like a bad connection on a wire that is also hanging loose somewhere.

Have you taken it back to the installer? I'd start there and at the same time look around for someone else who may be more qualified.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #7

I am taking it back Monday, but wanted to think the issue thru myself as well. The Kenwood deck is not new (with camera, GPS) What happened is I was doing install of onboard welder, alternator, etc... It was during this, that we ended up with a few issues. If we can assume the stereo wiring was not touched, then do you have a thought on what may have been "touched" or loosened? I am guessing something near ignition, power, ground. Something jiggles on highway, moves downward when backing up hill, cuts out.

2010 SMB
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
What happened is I was doing install of onboard welder, alternator, etc... It was during this, that we ended up with a few issues. If we can assume the stereo wiring was not touched, then do you have a thought on what may have been "touched" or loosened? I am guessing something near ignition, power, ground. Something jiggles on highway, moves downward when backing up hill, cuts out.
The onboard welder/alternator install sounds like a more likely culprit. Have you double checked that all the connections are tight. It may be something as simple as a loose nut allowing a connection to cut out on a bump. I was having trouble trying to link a back up camera to an ingition problem.

Scalf77 has a great story about loose connections and the grief they cause. Don't you Greg

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

with wiring from Alternator to welder, also from battery to welder, I am curious "where" you'd begin to look for this issue?

2010 SMB
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #10

I have the same radio and when I hit big bumps it shuts off. I think it's a POS. I don't think your problem is related to the stereo system. If it's a premier welder I would say it's the culprit. Those welders are very problematic and I've never seen one work flawlessly. My friend has nothing but problems with his. That's why I use the Readywelder. Also I have multiple 4x4 vehicles that it can move to.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote