Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Drawing Check, New house system

Hi All,

I know there are some pretty savy folks here, so I figured I might as well get some input on my new house electrical system.

I'm going to have 360 watts of solar with a 30 amp controller from Renogy, 200 AH of storage over two 12 V 100 AH AGM batteries, A Samlex Solar EVO-2212-12A Inverter/charger being fed by the solar system, a shore power input and on-board 2500 watt generator.

Batteries are also get charged from the Alternator which has a 150 AMP Battery Doctor (not seen in the drawing but is fused between the isolator and the house batteries with a 150 amp fuse).

AC Pannel has a 25 amp main breaker, and a 15 amp for Induction stove and 10 amp for AC outels.

12 Volt Bus powers house LEDS, water pump, Dometic Fridge, etc and is a Blue Sea setup with negative buss bar.

I've got Blue Sea 30 Amp breakers for between the panels and the solar controller as well as the controller and the SAMLEX.

Inverter/ Charger, Solar Controller, and Batteries will all be in close proximity so no long cable runs will be needed. Probably will just buy a set of the 3' 2/0 cables from Harbor freight for both connecting batteries as well as connecting them to the Samlex just because they are so inexpensive.

Other thing not included but will be in the build are the battery temperature sensors for the Samlex as well as the solar controller. Question there is it better to put that on the negative or positive post or doesn't really matter?

Some things I'm not certain about are:

Between the SAMLEX and the Battery bank I'm sure I need fusing somewhere, but I think if I read the diagram correctly on the Samlex, they want the positive to go from battery bank, to 12V buss to the Inverter charger which doesn't see right to me, but rather the 12 V buss should be wired in as I did it.

Fusing between Inverter and Batteries should probably be 100 AMPs given that is what the charger is rated at?

No fuse needed between Buss Bar and Battery bank or should I add up all the fuses in the Buss Bar and fuse to that amperage?

Concern with all the fusing is will it be building up too much resistance?
Attached Thumbnails
drawing.jpg  

sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #2

Limited time this am so I will be brief. This may be a good thread to start with
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ore-23602.html

Please read the manual for your inverter/charger, section 1 gives you most of the safety instructions, such as wire size and fuse ratings. Also more info in section 3, see table 3.1 .

You need to set your charger output for your battery bank, 100 amps would be to much for your size battery bank. For that matter if you intend to use your induction stove via the inverter, I suspect that you will be undersized in the battery bank.

Don't worry about the resistance of fuses.

Don't use battery cables from Harbor Freight.

Temp sensors are generally on the negative post, the manual will tell you if the sensor can be put on the positive post, which for this unit will go on either.

I would add a good battery monitor to the system, you will be happy you did in the long run. My current favorite is Balmar SG200.

Hopefully this gets you started

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #3

Thanks Greg,

I'm a long ways off from the install, just slowly gathering parts. the SAMLEX was my last big purchase and is en route.
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote