Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #11

drill out rivets, replace with bolts and nylock nuts.......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #12

Yep
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #13

Garage

Ours haven't failed yet, but in the time we've had this van, those window motors have definitely kept....getting.....a little......slower.....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post

Ours haven't failed yet, but in the time we've had this van, those window motors have definitely kept....getting.....a little......slower.....
Mike, you could be right but I'm thinking it might be all in your head. I know for a fact the 92-96 windows are a lot slower than the 97 up. Also, they are slower than most cars so if there's something else in your driveway that's newer and has faster windows it may be influencing your thinking.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm actually in the auto/truck biz and have naturally replaced or worked on power window lifts..............a few random thoughts.

-Rivets are factory but for the average owner replacing them with 1/4-20 bolts and Nylok nuts is by far easiest.

-In '97 the regulator systems changed from arms and gears to the now-common cable-driven arrangements. If working on a pre-'97 cleaning and lubricating that system might improve the speed--so will using a wet-type silicone spray (3M 08877) inside the window run channel along both vertical sides

-There's a lot of aftermarket replacement parts available these days, Dorman being among the better quality. I don't know factory parts are all that better but having a few high mileage PW vans I've not yet had to replace any of those components. vans ranging from 17 years old w/285K miles to an '05 with just over 140K miles.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #16

Alright dudes.....I finally got this job done but man......it wasn't fun. The rivets took forever to drill out, the space to work in is tiny and the order of things is a rubix cube.

Anyway, my window rolls down now. Thanks for the help!

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #17

I had to swap a door handle recently and used these rivets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also replaced a loose one on a lock actuator. They look every so slightly different than what was on my '99, but fit and work correctly.

I obviously didn't want to use something that could be unscrewed on the outside.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #18

Garage
Hey! This thread is reminding me.

When we picked up our '95 E250, there was a heinous, incessant knocking sound that would come from inside the front passenger door as you drove along. Worse than Chinese water torture on a long drive.

Finally tore the door panel off and found that one of those factory rivets for the window motor was improperly (incompletely) fastened...it wasn't bottomed out snug against the sheet metal....so it let the whole window motor assembly rock around and make a hell of a lot of noise.

Drilled out the offending rivet and replaced it with some leftover threaded hardware from one of my mountain bikes. (Yep, a nylock nut on there....)

NO idea how the last two owners had put up with that endless knock-knock-knock racket for the 20 years before we got this van...!

PRICELESS:
The look of stunned and happy relief on my girlfriend's face when we took the next trip...and she realized that the crazy sound was gone.

Btw:
Congrats BrianBlair!!!!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Replaced my actuator twice on the drivers side